Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks??
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks??

Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 30 Jul 2011 17:17 #36758

• TheAwkwardHawk
Just curious if anyone uses healthy, vegan, or organic concession stand snacks in place of the typical junk in their own movie theaters? How well does it go over with consumers? How does price factor in? Thoughts? Opinions? I'm considering implementing this idea in an independent theater business plan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 30 Jul 2011 21:34 #36759

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Recently I spoke with a fellow responsible for a high end VIP style theatre in an upscale neighborhood filled with spas and fitness centers.
None of the healthy items have worked.
Hot dogs, traditional theater nachos, candy, soda pop and popcorn are selling very well.
People ask for this and the press push for healthy options but they don't work, at least in movie theatres.
We're selling snacks and a special out of home experience.
AllenD

Re: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 01 Aug 2011 21:35 #36771

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
old beverage people will tell you: who'd have thought we can sell water! We offer beef jerky and that's popular. But I think people think healthy but not at the movie theatre.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 02 Aug 2011 12:16 #36774

• TheAwkwardHawk
That's slightly discouraging and not what I wanted to hear. I know my age group thinks differently from older generations, so I thought that perhaps implementing this idea would really fly with a younger audience perhaps. Healthy thoughts need to be turned into healthy actions... We're living in a time where video games have even implemented fitness techniques in their new releases (XBOX's Kinect, Wii-Fitness, etc).. I think this would be optimal timing to feature exclusively healthy choices only at the concession stands? Still a bad idea?

And let me stress that my theater would be independent, and draw a large young, art-house, hipster, intellectual crowd NOT the average movie-goers per-say..

Re: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 02 Aug 2011 13:42 #36776

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I would like to point out that the primary demographic for movie-goers is already the younger generation. Childhood obesity, and obesity in general is probably at an all-time high in the U.S. right now. It's obvious that younger generations do think differently. They think less about their health when eating than do older generations. You will probably find that older people are much more careful about what they put in their bodies. Sure, Grandma knows how to spoil you, but she herself eats lightly and more healthily when you are not around.

Some modern ideas about what is healthy and what is not have proven wrong. Recent studies show that bacon and eggs for breakfast is actually much healthier than previously thought, for example (can't recall where I read it, sorry). Diet sodas, once heralded for the low calorie count are turning out to be at least as unhealthy as regular sodas, and in many cases worse for people.

I'm not saying healthy, vegan, or organic snacks won't sell to a "young, art-house, hipster, intellectual crowd", but I would recommend you find a theater who sells both and see how each kind of snack does in side by side sales. I'm willing to guess that the business staples of popcorn and soda still outsell everything else.

When you say you will only sell healthy choices, I think you may hurt your business, at least at the concession stand and perhaps with ticket sales as well. If you are happy only offering the healthy experience at the risk of losing income, then go for it.

You will need a large population base to support your business concept. In old posts on this forum, I read that art-house theaters draw 10% as many customers as mainstream. Art houses are said not to sell as many concessions to start with, so maybe it won't matter if they don't like your offerings. But, if I were operating an art house, I would want to sell as many concessions as I could. I would consider selling both kinds of food. It is not your job to police what others eat. Going to the movies is more of an event for most people, not an everday thing. So, if they want to splurge on calories or fat, or risk their health on non-organic popcorn, then that is their choice. I personally used to attend art flicks, but I've never been the kind to choose vegan or organic snacks.

I understand your concern for health, but I'm not sure people out for a night at the movies really care. For those that do, sell them the healthy stuff, for those that don't, sell them what they want, or they will go elsewhere.

Re: Healthy, vegan, organic concession stand snacks?? 02 Aug 2011 20:31 #36778

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Don't replace the usual theatre fare with "healthy" snacks. ADD "healthy" stuff to the regular items.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction