Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bottled Soda

Bottled Soda 19 May 2011 18:59 #36108

• Elin TW
Anyone here using bottled soda?

I'm considering switching to glass bottles from cans.
It's a more classy feel; a throwback to the good ole days of exhibition.
I think it will increase my soda sales dramatically.
Last Edit: 19 May 2011 18:59 by Elin TW.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bottled Soda 19 May 2011 19:13 #36109

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Why are you not using a fountain. Pepsi and Coke will supply the equipment at no charge and you buy the "bag-in-a-box". Your profit margin will be much higher.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 19 May 2011 19:14 by revrobor.

Re: Bottled Soda 19 May 2011 19:37 #36110

• Elin TW
revrobor wrote:
Why are you not using a fountain. Pepsi and Coke will supply the equipment at no charge and you buy the "bag-in-a-box". Your profit margin will be much higher.

Fountain takes up too much room and doesn't taste as good as the bite you get from cans and bottles.
My customers don't want fountain.
I'd make less money due to fewer sales with fountain.

Re: Bottled Soda 19 May 2011 21:32 #36113

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Can you even get glass bottles these days? Plus what about dropping bottles on the floor by customers?

Bob, you sound kinda VPF like in your tone!

Re: Bottled Soda 19 May 2011 23:05 #36114

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Oh, c'mon Jack. I've been accused of a lot of things in my life but never anything that bad. Is that why my karma is dropping? In all my years in this business I have never been in a theatre that serves cans (or bottles). I know that if a fountain dispensed drink doesn't come at least close to matching a can then it's time to call in the company rep for an adjustment of the equipment.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Last Edit: 19 May 2011 23:08 by revrobor.

Re: Bottled Soda 20 May 2011 01:19 #36116

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Well, it is a blast from the past to think about soft drinks in glass bottles. Coke is doing quite a business importing from Mexico pure cane sugar Coke and Fanta orange in glass for about five times the price of a can. (Figuring a grocery store can of Coke is about twenty cents and the glass bottle is about a buck.)
Serving can and bottled soda pop does mean there is no upselling and it would be hard for ushers to figure out what has been snuck in and what was purchased at the snack bar. The profit margin would also be slim.
As for the crashing of bottles on the floor: yes it could be a problem. But theatres are serving bottles of beer and cocktails and wine in glass stemware.
I wouldn't chose to serve soft drinks any way but from a fountain.
I don't even like the idea, pretty widely used, of selling alternative flavors of soda in bottles and cans or out of vending machines after the snack bar has closed.
This opens a slightly different topic: I like to see snack bars stay open until the last customer has left the building. Why not? It makes it easier to sell large sizes to the last show time of the day (refills) and we have to be there to close anyway. What do the others do?
AllenD

Re: Bottled Soda 20 May 2011 18:50 #36123

• Elin TW
revrobor wrote:
Oh, c'mon Jack. I've been accused of a lot of things in my life but never anything that bad. Is that why my karma is dropping? In all my years in this business I have never been in a theatre that serves cans (or bottles). I know that if a fountain dispensed drink doesn't come at least close to matching a can then it's time to call in the company rep for an adjustment of the equipment.

But, even when perfect, it just can't match the bottled taste. I would have thought the "Old Showman" would appreciate the throwback to yesteryear. I remember buying bottled soda for a dime at the local theater in my hometown. I want to recreate that wonderful childhood memory for others...you can't do that with a fountain soda that doesn't taste the same.

AllenD - We close up the concession stand 5 minutes after the last movie starts in our two-plex. Too much staff overhead to justify staying open...and, we have big, bold signs we put up before the last show of the night that say, "we close the concession stand before your movie is over, please purchase all items you want right now". It's effective and increases sales because people get scared they can't get anything else! You should try it! Of course, with cans right now, we don't have the refill problem but people often buy a 6-pack of sodas cause they are scared they will run out.

Re: Bottled Soda 20 May 2011 21:17 #36127

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
This "Old Showman" was born into the business and started professionally in 1946. I have visited many theatres, owned three and managed three for other people. I have never been in a theatre that serves cans or bottles and it certainly not a "throwback to yesteryear". If that's what your local theatre did then it was the exception. As far as keeping the concessions open until the fat lady has sung staffing is not a problem as the manager can handle it himself. In locations where there is snow or freezing temps in the winter I think it's a good idea as customers may want a hot cup of something as they leave.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Bottled Soda 20 May 2011 23:41 #36128

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I agree with Bob. We're a little theater. We cut our concessions help out of here ASAP after the last show begins. But we leave one cash register open so that the projectionist/supervisor can sell things. They simply close out that one, last register right before they count out the deposit, which they are not allowed to do until we are securely locked up for the night.

Re: Bottled Soda 21 May 2011 14:16 #36133

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I agree. we sell half price refills and people come out all night long for them. Easy money to keep a station open and have staff that has to be there anyway handle it...

We have a bottle fridge for bottled water, a few types of soda and for beer & wine sales. We keep the bottled soda price high enough so that the fountain looks more attractive. Fountain soda is way cheaper. Keep the equipment in good shape, put a charcoal filter on the water line (and remember to change it) and you are good to go. We get people coming in off the street just for soda and popcorn (God love them)
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 21 May 2011 14:20 by leeler.

Re: Bottled Soda 22 May 2011 00:42 #36139

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
Mr. Allen:
You mention hot beverages on a cold night. I know large Theatres sell coffee and cocoa. What's your experience in smaller markets?
Freshness an issue? Hot drinks in dark houses? Mark ups as good as soda?
What size? 12-16-20 oz? Refills?
I'd really love some coffee and cocoa feedback. I don't have the market for fancy coffee.
Thanks
AllenD

Costco: Mexican Coke in bottles with cane sugar 24/$16.99
Last Edit: 22 May 2011 02:14 by AllenD.

Re: Bottled Soda 22 May 2011 17:06 #36143

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
we sell coffee with a by-the-cup brewer from Keurig. Markups are as good as bottled soda. It's a 12oz cup and you can have as many flavors as you can think of. Not a big seller but it's worth doing.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Bottled Soda 22 May 2011 18:35 #36146

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
What leeler said.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Bottled Soda 22 May 2011 20:58 #36150

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks! Keurig! Simple small market suggestion that would cover tea, coffe and hot chocolate without waste. Should have thought of it myself
AllenD

Re: Bottled Soda 24 May 2011 04:08 #36178

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
We keep a hot pot of water on at all times using a regular coffee maker. We brew coffee by the cup with a Melitta filter cone. We also sell Stasero brand hot chocolate (with optional dehydrated marshmallows) and hot cider. Hot chocolate has become quite popular, especially among old ladies for some reason, and kids waiting for rides after the show. Our cups are 16oz. This has worked out best for us, because the cost is minimal, the coffee is always fresh and the powdered mixes have a long shelf life. I thought about buying a a pod type brewer, but the filter cone only cost $3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharynf
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction