Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Small and Simple Concession stands?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Small and Simple Concession stands?

Small and Simple Concession stands? 08 Nov 2009 19:45 #32749

• mafunk
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm looking to open a super funky granola art-house type theater. To keep expenses down i would like to have a simple concession stand. Looking to learn about creative ideas for small, simple concession stands from others.

Thinking about serving

DRINKS - bottled artisan sodas, bottled beers, wine, bottled water,

FOOD - artisan breads, premade 'mini' deli sandwiches,

SNACKS - interesting candy, popcorn

So, with this set up I need to refrigerate my bottled drinks, have a frige for sandwhich fixings, have a counter for breads and candy, have a popcorn maker

I would think that would cut down on equipment costs and spacing needs. Your thoughts? How much space do you think I would need? What have you done to cut down on space and equipment needs?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 08 Nov 2009 23:16 #32756

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Drinks:

Bottled drinks have a higher unit cost than fountain post mix product. If you sell beer, the liquor board will be involved and there may licenses.

Food: Artisan breads probably have a higher cost than ordinary breads. Will people buy them? Pre-made deli sandwiches may still get the health dept involved. Is it worth the hassle?

Snacks: "Interesting" candies. Will enough people buy them to make it worthwhile? POPCORN is the best selling and best profit food item.

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 08 Nov 2009 23:46 #32758

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
we sell 60 to 80 candies at a time and very very well with them

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 09 Nov 2009 20:25 #32771

• mafunk
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your feedback/insight.

I know that bottles will be more expensive. Our town is very funky and hippyesque. I want to market the venue as such, and to promote the fact that we are grass roots, not corporate. I think people here will pay extra for artisan made stuff because they don't want to support 'the man'.

I can get gourmet, Artisan sodas that are not at Sams club for 30 to 50 cents a bottle and easily sell them for $2.50 a bottle. Do you think that is enough profit?

I can do the same for unique candies.

I know that I will need a restaurant/food service permit, as that will be one of our core functions - nice and fresh, but simple deli food. Over time it would be nice to add hot food, but for simplicity and cost savings sake I thought we would start with deli type stuff. One thing I have thought is that Deli food spoils in quickly. But I really want to promote fresh type food.

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 11 Nov 2009 17:56 #32789

• RealButter
  • Expert Boarder
We are in a small town and serve:
* organic popcorn
* real butter
* an assortment of spices (lemon pepper, garlic, brewers yeast, parmesan, tamari, etc)
* cookies from a local farm bakery
* handmade peppermint patties, choco dipped pretzels, nonpareils, choco covered raisins
* gummies
* sugar-free citrus wedges
* small assortment of commercial candy: twizzlers, m&ms, pb cups
* coffee / teas / hot cocoa

We got rid of our fountain drinks a year ago and only serve bottled / canned (mostly natural) beverages. Everything we serve is free of high fructose corn syrup. Our bottled drinks are $2.50, cans and water are $1.50. (We serve a local bottled water.)

Our concession sales went up this year.

If I could get the proper permit, I would serve some other snacks like hummus / veggies, more pastries or crepes.

It's possible but you really need to know that your patrons will go for it. The big seller is still popcorn!

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 20 Sep 2010 19:59 #34599

• catwalker
  • Fresh Boarder
mafunk wrote:
Thank you for your feedback/insight.

I know that bottles will be more expensive. Our town is very funky and hippyesque. I want to market the venue as such, and to promote the fact that we are grass roots, not corporate. I think people here will pay extra for artisan made stuff because they don't want to support 'the man'.

I can get gourmet, Artisan sodas that are not at Sams club for 30 to 50 cents a bottle and easily sell them for $2.50 a bottle. Do you think that is enough profit?

I can do the same for unique candies.

I know that I will need a restaurant/food service permit, as that will be one of our core functions - nice and fresh, but simple deli food. Over time it would be nice to add hot food, but for simplicity and cost savings sake I thought we would start with deli type stuff. One thing I have thought is that Deli food spoils in quickly. But I really want to promote fresh type food.

Those sodas sound perfect for a small & funky concession stand. Where are you getting them?

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 21 Sep 2010 08:13 #34603

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Where do you get "astisan, gourmet sodas" for 30 to 50 cents? A bottle of coke costs 50 cents, so I am wondering where you are getting these specialty drinks even cheaper???

Re:Small and Simple Concession stands? 29 Sep 2010 23:53 #34641

• catwalker
  • Fresh Boarder
Dang... I really want to sell those sodas too
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction