Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Concession gross income per capita
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Concession gross income per capita

Concession gross income per capita 20 Nov 2001 10:01 #27260

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Our "per cap" is hovering at 1.85 per person. What is yours? Is there a norm we should be aiming for. I know that it's normaly higher than what we're doing. What say ye?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 20 Nov 2001 13:55 #27261

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike-
Our per cap usually hovers around $2.85, thats for an 11 screen first run. The 6 screen budget theatre in town is around $2.40. This weekend with Harry Potter, we were totally staffed and did over $3.00 each day.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 20 Nov 2001 14:27 #27262

Ours was $2.18 at its peak

Re: Concession gross income per capita 20 Nov 2001 16:26 #27263

• Mike
  • Administrator
aaaakkkkkk!!!! that's a lot! I'm waiting to hear more before I freak too, too quick! Mike

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Concession gross income per capita 21 Nov 2001 02:14 #27264

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
My average this weekend (single screen w/Harry Potter) was $3.18 per person. Tonight it was $2.00. I usually average around $3.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 21 Nov 2001 09:01 #27265

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
Ours runs between about $2.00 to $2.30 This week end it was 2.60.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Concession gross income per capita 21 Nov 2001 10:24 #27266

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'll do my best to make you all feel good about your per caps as mine is only $1.25. If we have a family show, a Disney or say a Shrek, it will go as high as $1.75 to $2.00, but when we have an adult show or arty show it will go down to as low as 65 cents. Our Wednesday matinee which is usually 95% senior citizens brings in about 35 cents per cap. I've thought about not having the stand open for that show, but on rare occasions when I'm short of help and it's not open, I get complaints about that. You can't win!

Of course my concession prices are not high. If my prices were as high as most theatres I would sell much less. People complain about my prices now. Here are my prices:
Candy $1.00, $1.25, $1.50
Drinks 14 oz-$1.25, 20 oz-$1.50, 24 oz-$1.75
Pop Corn 24 oz-$1.50, 46 oz-$2.00, 85 oz-$2.50

I've tried bigger sizes, but they don't sell here and those that do are always left behind half full. That means more mess to clean up and patrons that may be dissatisfied that they didn't get there moneys worth.

I have not raised my prices since 1996, and am considering doing so. Probably a 25 cent across the board increase is what I will do. I can hear the complaints now, and an even larger amount of stuff will be snuck in. A lot is already.

I've tried adding extra items... coffee, nachos, cotton candy, cookies, etc. but none of them have ever worked. Only the three basics go over here.

If I could just get my per cap up to $1.50 I'd be happy and would be making decent money.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 21 Nov 2001 19:37 #27267

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I checked ours for the past 3 weeks with Monsters,Inc was $2.06. We got hurt early on with Halloween, but have been posting bigger numbers since then.

Burney Falls - You must be doing a great job both with pricing your products and efficiently serving all those hordes you have with Harry. Kudos!

Roxy - I am with you! While we are able to book first run at the moment we have spent years in your shoes. People who frequent a discount theater have a hard time parting with more money at the concession stand than they paid for the movie. Not only do they comment on it, but they live it too! We have also broken our hearts trying to attract seniors who complain that your $1.00 of plain popcorn is too expensive. I don't know what works in your market, but I do know that we have usually been able to carry a per cap around 1.85 or so on discount. Like you, we can usually get that up for kids shows but it drops when we book arty film. We have a couple of tricks which would be sneared at by the chains but we think that they help us.

First, we offer a plain box of popcorn for $1.00 (cheapest #1 box - no butter offered because it leaks through). This works on people who weren't going to get anything (mostly seniors or cheapskates like me), but can also work for families who get everyone a box of popcorn instead of a shared bucket. They end up spending more than they would have otherwise, but they are happy.
Second , we also offer deals on the larger package deals so we sell a lot of Jumbo Deals $5.50 (32 oz drink & 130 oz corn), some Monster Deals $8.50 (44 oz drink & 170 oz corn & candy up to $2.00) and a fair number of Family Packs -$11.00(4 16 oz drinks, 170 oz corn & 2 lb Twizzlers). All of these appeal to people who like discounts and we can make them really fast so they don't hold up the lines.
Third, We stock and sell a lot $.75 candy and we have ways of separating kids from their quarters too - Tootsie pops, Cow Tales, etc).
Fourth - Kids Pacs $3.00 with choice of $.75 candy, child size drink and box of corn. We sell a ton of them and find that many families will buy one for each kid and then buy a Jumbo Deal for the parents. We found that parents can visualize this easily since other theaters sell it. We had to work out the tray issue, but ended up buying whatever clearance trays PMG has to sell. We are also getting our plastic child size cup from them.
(I currently have Monsters,Inc trays with The Road to Eldorado cups, but we just finished cases of Tigger Movie and generic Monster cups).

Fifth - If we can find a way to make and sell it efficiently we do. In addition to coffe, tea, hot cider, cappuccino and hot chocolate, we sell bottled water, juice boxes, grape punch, fruit punch and portion pac nachos. While we don't sell a lot of them we offer snack mixes,cookies, and Pringles. These items also keep me from feeling guilty after the concession stand is more or less closed up at night and the popcorn is gone. We can still selling them something.

Sixth - senior citizens will buy a small coffee and a box of popcorn if you can't sell them anything else. Some of them will even buy candy if inexpensive and traditional like Hershey bars, Jr Mints, Dots, Sno-Caps, Good n Plenty etc. So we end up stocking sour candy for kids and traditional favorites to get the grownups.

I am sure that this sounds like an awful lot of stuff to try to sell and you might think that we have lots of waste, a large concession stand and a large storage area. I am afraid not. I have a single station concession stand with popcorn machine on one side, candy case in middle with about 4' of counter before you hit the pop machine and the wall. Back counter is narrow - wide enough only for the standard Bunn coffee machine and butter machine. We have a set of shelves up the back wall which display every size of everything that we sell, so that customers can see what they are getting. New menu board from Pepsi was just delivered yesterday.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 21 Nov 2001 19:46 #27268

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, its me again.

I have numbers for a chain 8 plex - $2.16 1999, $2.35 2000, $2.36 thru May 2001.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 23 Nov 2001 11:59 #27269

• Mike
  • Administrator
Just did the numbers again: 7 days of Friday the 16th-Thanksgive was 2.08 average. That's with Monsters and Harry! Seems like room for improvement!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Concession gross income per capita 23 Nov 2001 17:57 #27270

Mike,
What improved mine was making the concession lines speed up. That took working behind the stand with the workers and showing them how it is done.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 02 Dec 2001 02:19 #27271

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Don't want to brag too much, but Harry Potter averaged $4 at my matinee today. But I won't brag about the 20 people that spent that $80.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 03 Dec 2001 19:12 #27272

• Slim
  • Fresh Boarder
Working at a new 8 screen, our per cap hovers between $2.50 & $2.90.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 04 Dec 2001 12:47 #27273

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike is absolutely correct. Get back there and show them how YOU want it done. Show them those little time-savers,always be PREPARED for business. That is the hardest thing I can teach my employees-they will be standing around after a set of shows,thinking there is nothing to be done, but of course it is all going to happen again, there are floors to be swept,counters to be wiped off, popcorn to be popped,candy,tubs,cups,salt,napkins,nachos etc to be stocked up and ready for the next show.Be Prepared.

Re: Concession gross income per capita 08 Dec 2001 10:25 #27274

• Mike
  • Administrator
First off we are very fast. We have a small lobby and if we're not it is really bad so we go FAST. The problem is our prices are low and in particular our soda prices are low. There is no "supersize" for soda in a can and we sell them for 1.25 so there you go. A big problem with cans is that everyone knows how much a can of soda costs and they do the math. How are you going to compute a big cup full of ice and soda: they have no idea how little it costs. Our Nov. per cap came in at 1.62. I'm bummed!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction