Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: with or without?

with or without? 22 Dec 2006 18:06 #27102

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
After many years of the "would you like butter" when it wasn't or the "Would you like topping on that?" and what the hell is topping anyway issue: we know just say: "With or without?" And everyone knows what it means. It reminded me of the Philly Cheese Steak places where you order it "wit" or Witout".
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: with or without? 22 Dec 2006 21:11 #27103

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
THANK YOU for using the phrase, "would you like"!!!

Though popular with today's youth, I find the words, "do you want" to be slightly offensive, and we train our staff not to use it. We also teach them to make change without assistance from the computer, but that's another subject.

"Do you want", at least in my mind, makes the assumption that the customer has already made that choice... and you're just getting around to asking about it. "Would you like", while sounding much more polite to me, sounds more like a helpful offer... much more positive.

Youthful impressions can last a lifetime. I had the offending phrase excised from my working vocabulary at the age of 12, or therebouts, when the manager of a drive-in I was hanging around pretty much told me how it was going to be. I never forgot it!

"Can I help you guys" is another of my pet peeves....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction