Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand twin cylinder slush thingey?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: twin cylinder slush thingey?

twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 10:11 #27053

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Okay. we added hot dogs, nachoitis, and now we're thinking frozen drinks. Where do you get the equipment? Do you buy outright and then purchase materials and supplies? Do you have to empty and clean the thing every night? Do you like having the rig? Is it better to go with the Tastee rig?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 10:18 #27054

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Why not ask the manufacturer? Try www.icee.com

I'm sure they could give more info on materials, syrup, cleaning/sanitizing, etc.

[This message has been edited by Ken Layton (edited May 28, 2003).]

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 12:06 #27055

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
We went with The Icee Co a year ago and have not been sorry. They provided the machine and they maintain it. The only cleaning we have to go is wipe the outside down every night. Of course we have to buy their product and cups. Thinking it was probably a summer only product, it was amazing how much we sold this winter.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 12:15 #27056

• Mike
  • Administrator
and if that isn't enough I put in Google Frozen Drinks and got
http://www.stevesfrozenchillers.com/

another source........

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 12:35 #27057

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Gold Medal has one of those machines. I seem to remember the rep sitting at my kitchen table and telling me he'd give us the machine if we sold his product.

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 19:31 #27058

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I own both the 2 barrell set-up nad also the Taylor slush machine--which is basically their soft serve machine with a lighter duty compressor---I much prefer the Taylor--for 2 reasons--1) the Taylor has a reserve tank that costently refills the freezer as used, making for very quick recovery when busy--the barrell machines are pretty much done for a good half hour after you empty it. 2) in the Taylor, you use unflavored base and squirt the flavoring in cup before filling--it does not add that much extra time to a fill--and we have 5 flavors versus 2 flavors

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 21:15 #27059

• crshedd
  • Senior Boarder
mike-

you may also try pine state. they are headquartered in maine. they have 'icee' type machines as well as ones that make a 'coolata' drink like dunkin' donuts. they maintain as long as you buy their product.

'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 28 May 2003 22:57 #27060

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
I would go with a Taylor type machine, or a Stroelting type "slush Puppie" machine. With these, they only mix the neutral slush base(sugar water) in a huge vat, then it goes to the freezing chamber and then you can add whatever flavor you want. Most places have about 5 different ones. With a, i'll call it a marguarita machine you only get the two flavors, and as previously said once they are gone, there is nothing freezing in there for about 30 minutes. You're limited with your flavors also with these twin barreled machines. With a Taylor, or slush puppie machine, you could also do a little promoting of the product as the movies allow. An extra little sign "try our HULK SLUSH PUPPIE" lime flavor,or go "Under the sea with Finding Nemo and a Blue-Raspberry Slush."
I've used both and prefer the taylor/slush puppie units.
JEff

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 29 May 2003 11:27 #27061

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
Our Icee Granita machine was noisy and prone to damage. It self-destructed one day. We dumpped Icee as being too expensive and purchased a bubbler. We now make ice-tea and lemonade for the bubbler.

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 30 May 2003 05:20 #27062

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
Granita (the two tube machine) machines are a pain. If you want to sell a frozen drink, Icee's are easier and less costly. I have worked at places with the granita machines, and while the product is great, they are a pain to clean every night and are prone to bacteria (or even mold) growth if not cleaned properly. The last thing any of us need is sick customers!

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 30 May 2003 11:31 #27063

• Mike
  • Administrator
What model # Taylor do you like for a counter top op?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 30 May 2003 12:03 #27064

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
I've been very curious about the getting a frozen drink machine for my theatre. But the cost of the machine has always been huge.
And the cost of the product has been high as well. I've never been able to cost-justify it, based on what I'm guessing I would sell.

Can any of you post what all your costs are involved with this and what your sales are like?
Is it worth it for you?
Does it take away from your soft drink sales?

Thanks!
Tony

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 30 May 2003 19:57 #27065

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Mike,

The model # would be entirely up to what you feel your sales would be, the only bad thing is not having large enough to fufill the demand. I have the floor model 351, which is the sister to counter model 350. The only time I have trouble keeping up with demand is school shows (150 +) as they are hitting all at one time. Even then it only tales a few minutes to recover in the Taylor as the freezing is done around the product.

I have found a cure for this and make up a good amount of the 20 oz, mostly Blue Raspberry ahead of time. I use styrofoam cups to stop sweating and with the insulation value, and as cold as the drink is, it stays very servable when the bus hits the door.

I sell for same price as soft drinks, but that is because the base and flavors are made next door to one of my suppliers--no shipping costs
, so an ounce costs me less than soda. But people would pay a higher price for a slushie than soda.

I sell as much in winter as summer

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 31 May 2003 23:46 #27066

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
Mike-
Much like my wimovieman neighbor said. These seem to be the best. I have a counter top 350 in my ice cream store, and it works great. You can find (at least around here) a nice USED slush puppie machine at most resturant supply houses for about $800.00 or less. Try one of those -more flavor options, higher capicity. I don't think $800.00 is much to pay for a used machine, not with the profit we can make in the theatre concession stand.
Jeff

Re: twin cylinder slush thingey? 02 Jun 2003 18:53 #27067

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I have to add--Taylor is VERY supportive of their equipment. I have never had a problem getting the wearable parts and even the long life parts (i.e. main relay) quickly, and as important, fairly priced. The units I have been talking about were used when i bought them and have been in service for me for 6 years now with very little problems. They sure build one heck of a freezer system!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction