Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Popcorn

Popcorn 13 Sep 2006 11:42 #27044

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Has anyone ever figured out how many 125 oz cups of popped corn one gets out of 50 pounds of raw seed?

I have a church asking me to sell them large garbage bags of popped corn and I'm trying to come up with a price (less than our regular $4 price of course).

To put it another way, has anyone ever figured out the cost of 125, 85 or 46 oz cups of corn?

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Popcorn 13 Sep 2006 12:41 #27045

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Just a thought, Robert:

For a short time, we moved popcorn from one drive-in to another, using the "garbage bag" method you describe. Shortly after we started, I learned that the plastic is not "food grade", but recycled (makes sense). I was also somewhat uncomfortable, having people see us haul popcorn around that way.

Harlan Fairbanks, the concession company over here, has the big yellow bags they used when they sold pre-popped corn, and they are food grade. We've been using them for local storage when cleaning out our machines, and I feel a lot better about using them! Maybe something to check out.

They may also be able to tell you what the yield would be... that's a good question.

Jack

Re: Popcorn 13 Sep 2006 19:38 #27046

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Jack. I'll contact them.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited September 13, 2006).]
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Popcorn 15 Sep 2006 08:39 #27047

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Maybe the real question here should be how much do people charge for large bulk popcorn.

I sell just a few of these so mine is priced around what the other stores charge.

$6.75+

Re: Popcorn 23 Sep 2006 17:11 #27048

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
I just figured out the cost of our corn. We pay $13 for a 50 pound bag from an area farmer. That makes the cost of our raw corn .01625 cents per oz and there are 800 ounces in a 50 pound bag. Our small popcorn holds six cups of popped corn. Since it takes one ounce of raw corn to make 3 cups of popped corn that means our small corn costs us .0325 cents and we sell it for $2. It's a 46 oz cup. I haven't calculated the medium and large yet but it shouldn't be a problem. Now won't you sleep better tonight? Part of that info came from Farner-Backen our supplier here in Iowa.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited September 23, 2006).]
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction