Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: popcorn oil

popcorn oil 26 Jun 2006 23:46 #27019

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So, What type of popcorn oil do you use? and why?
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: popcorn oil 27 Jun 2006 05:39 #27020

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Coconut oil.
It (along with Flavacol*) provides the traditional popcorn taste I grew up with. My patrons love it, I have two 32 oz poppers going full-time on Friday and Saturday... barely keeping up with demand... nuff said.

I watched the canola oil craze with interest, but never actually jumped into the fray. Hearing the stories, then actually walking into a lobby that smelled like fish was enough for me. To top it off, seeing the divided popcorn warmers with full canola oil sections and nearly empty coconut oil halves just reinforced that some traditions shouldn't be messed with.

*Savorol is used at some local theatres. I don't much care for it, but I think that's from having been brought up with Flavacol... just chalk it up to personal taste. One or two theatres just use white popcorn salt.

Re: popcorn oil 29 Jun 2006 07:43 #27021

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
coconut oil bars is the only way to go
"What a crazy business"

Re: popcorn oil 29 Jun 2006 08:50 #27022

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Coconut Oil plus white popcorn salt ( Sorry)

I was at a theatre chain in WI. who did not use salt in the poper. They had a can of popcorn salt on the counter for you to add plus flavor salt at a serving center by the theatre entrance.

Re: popcorn oil 29 Jun 2006 16:33 #27023

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Coconut oil with Flavacol. It is the best taste and that is what people want for a special night out.

Re: popcorn oil 29 Jun 2006 23:23 #27024

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Is coconut oil the one that stays hard in the bag/tub? I think the chain I previously worked for used a variation of coconut oil and something else that was supposed to make it healthier. So, does coconut oil need to be heated? Does it clog the pump lines?
Thanks

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 01:06 #27025

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, coconut oil stays hard until heated.

We use Popall (vegetable oil) with Flavacol. The vegetable oil does have some coconut oil in it though. We have received many comments about how our popcorn is some of the best around. In a normal week-end, we usually sell two or three batches to people who are not going to the show, they stop just for the popcorn.

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 01:10 #27026

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Trackfood- yup...coconut oil bib or drum is hard until melted. Our Cretor popper actually has a heating shelf for two boxes. The lines running from the box to the actual pump "freeze up" during the spring/winter months. We use a space heater to "thraw" the lines. Line heaters work for crap. Coconut oil makes a far better corn than canola oil. Plus, canola oil popped corned tastes bad after it has sat a bit, very greasy to the palette.

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 05:30 #27027

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
Cretor popper actually has a heating shelf for two boxes. The lines running from the box to the actual pump "freeze up" during the spring/winter months. We use a space heater to "thraw" the lines. Line heaters work for crap.

Boy, you sure have that right. We have two of those heater shelves... and I have that same problem with both of them... mainly on the fringes of my season, when it's cold in the building.

Same fix here... we have a space heater we put in front of the shelves for a few minutes. We also have the back-room heater, so we can keep extra boxes warm.

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 12:29 #27028

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
We use Canola, and on occasion Corn oil, the one time we used Coconut oil, people were bringing the corn back that it was bad so sorry to say no coconut oil ever again here!

Not sure what type Canola you guys have used, but I use Great Western Canola Popping oil, NEVER have has a 'Fish smell" it never gets "greasy", and even if kept several days is still fine?

Corn oil was OK, gives a slightly sweeter taste to the corn.

We pop with Flavacol, you can't get "Theatre Popcorn" w/o it! and to just add salt after you pop is totally not the same... would be as bad as microwave popcorn that tastes like paper! (only salty)

Mind you we don't add as much as they say to use, it's way too salty that way, in our 20 Oz popper one plastic teaspoon is plenty!

And we are using Luanna Buttery Topping.

Tony.
tony.

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 21:41 #27029

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Odells classic blend with tsp.Flavacol!

Re: popcorn oil 30 Jun 2006 21:48 #27030

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
the one time we used Coconut oil, people were bringing the corn back that it was bad so sorry to say no coconut oil ever again here!

Your customers must have acquired a taste for your corn. If I did something like that here, I'd have a riot on my hands!

Re: popcorn oil 02 Jul 2006 19:55 #27031

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We use Pop-wise popping oil with flavacol.
A very good product that is low in saturated fat and also low in transfats. It is possible to offer a healthy product that actually tastes good.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction