Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ice machine question

ice machine question 02 May 2002 09:46 #26445

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
What do you use for ice machines? Do you loike the big or little cubes? Any machines that you'd stay away from? We don't use ice currently but we're heading there.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ice machine question 02 May 2002 10:25 #26446

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Manitowac and Scotsman are top rated ice machines that are very dependable and run for years. There are 2 types of ice machines: 'cubers' and 'flakers'.

Re: ice machine question 02 May 2002 12:40 #26447

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As Ken said, Manitowac and Scotsman are two good names,Hoschizaki (sp?) is another good name that I have seen around quite a bit the last few years. They also seem to be good machines.

Re: ice machine question 02 May 2002 17:13 #26448

• rsmith
  • Junior Boarder
We currently lease our ice machine from a company called IceMakers.We pay a flat fee of 85.00 per mo and they handle all maintenance and repair parts. They also guarantee that whatever your rate is when you start, it will remain that as long as you lease from them. We lease quite a large unit. (not sure how they are sized). I know we have never lacked for ice even on our busiest nights. We went for leasing because of the predictable cost,no investment, and no maintenace costs or downtime.

Re: ice machine question 02 May 2002 17:36 #26449

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
If you buy used, stay away from the old Scotsman flakers. I've yet to have one that didn't need a lot of work (new ones are supposed ot be great, but I don't think I'll find out for myself). Cubers generally have less moving parts and tend to be more reliable.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: ice machine question 02 May 2002 20:08 #26450

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm sorry but now I have to put my two cents in: I HAVE one of those old Scotsman flakers. We call it crushed ice and the customers love it. They often ask for more ice after they see that they are getting crushed ice. I just can't argue with an ice machine which has worked its head off for 30 years. What more can you ask of any piece of equipment? Yes, it is now on its last legs, but c'mon 30 years?

Re: ice machine question 03 May 2002 02:07 #26451

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I'll add my 2 cents here regarding the Scotsman 'flakers'. I have found them to be quite reliable and we had one that was also around 25 to 30 years old before it died. The flakers will typically leak around the "ice auger" assembly. The nice thing is that there are rebuild kits you can buy yourself for around $50 and fix the machine yourself.

Re: ice machine question 03 May 2002 04:01 #26452

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
We use a HUGE Hoshizaki machine, and have had no problems with it. We're an 8 screen with a coffee house, and have never run out of ice. The place I used to work has 4 screens, and we would run out of ice every weekend during the summer. I can't remember what type of machine it was, though.

Re: ice machine question 03 May 2002 13:43 #26453

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm glad your luck was better than mine with the OLD Scottsman flakers. I went thru two in a year (one the auger bit the side with no warning, the other the tranny went -- both repairs would have cost more than I paid for the machine. Sold 'em on eBay for parts)Also, in my area, finding someone who knows the older machines is a problem. I will never buy a used flaker again. I'd buy a new Scottsman tomorrow if I found a good price on it (Superior Restuarant Supply often has them on sale) since my luck with the NEW ones has been very good. People generally like the flaked ice, but word is the cubes displace more pop, which means you're selling less product and more frozen water with cubes.

So, at the risk of answering the question: If you want a flaker, get it NEW. If you're buying used, cubers seem to be the better bet, IMNSHO.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: ice machine question 03 May 2002 16:06 #26454

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 39
I think, make that know!!!! I'd agree that new is always better than used. Flakes? Big cubes? Little cubes?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: ice machine question 03 May 2002 20:31 #26455

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm a little cube man.

We have a Manitowac that hasn't let us down yet.

I very much dislike Flakes or Shaved Ice.
I think it waters down the beverage too much, too fast. Also the Ice volume doesn't hold up.

[This message has been edited by Large (edited May 03, 2002).]

Re: ice machine question 04 May 2002 07:30 #26456

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
>>I very much dislike Flakes or Shaved Ice. I think it waters down the beverage too much, too fast. Also the Ice volume doesn't hold up.<<

Yes, especially for root beer. In fact, it's important that NO ICE be served with root beer, as it has less carbonation and goes flat with ice. Some fountains are improperly set for root beer, with carbonation the same as the other drinks. Sounds anal I know, but dammit, that's how root beer is served.

Re: ice machine question 04 May 2002 14:10 #26457

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
As I commented above - my customers prefer flaked ice. They often request no ice or "little" ice, but when I show them the scoop with the ice they get all happy that we have the right kind of ice and often change their mind about "little" ice. I would guess that those cubes make them feel that they are getting gypped with less pop. You can adjust your fountain so that the syrup mix is a little stronger if you are worried about the drinks getting watered down, but I have the opposite reaction. I feel that the flaked ice does less watering down than those cubes over the course of a two hour movie. Of course, I am not being scientific, but neither are the customers. If they like it and are pleased then we try to do more of it - whatever the subject is. So when, I buy my next ice machine, I will campaign hard for a flaker.

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 00:46 #26458

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are looking for ice machines, check out the used restaurant equipment dealers. They always have a lot of machines and are usually willing to deal. I bought my used Scottsman (the cover had a dent in it) for $250.00 cash and carry.

Re: ice machine question 05 May 2002 00:48 #26459

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by muviebuf:
If you are looking for ice machines, check out the used restaurant equipment dealers. They always have a lot of machines and are usually willing to deal. I bought my used Scottsman (the cover had a dent in it) for $250.00 cash and carry. I've had it for seven years and never had a problem. The key to longevity with an ice machine is a good filter system on the intake. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction