Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bagel Dogs?

Bagel Dogs? 16 May 2003 12:23 #26293

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
Is anyone selling bagel dogs? If so what brand, from who and how is aud response. We want minimum waste, minimum clean-up and steamed or grilled dogs seem more complicated (we also have health dept considerations). Bagel dogs can be nuked from the refridgerated stae and can last 14 days in the fridge and months in the freezer. Anyone with first hand experience?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bagel Dogs? 16 May 2003 20:29 #26294

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I started selling Bagel Dogs at Landmark Theatres in Denver 17 years ago. We picked them up because there is less spoilage with them, as they aren't cooked (nuked) till someone orders one.

When I got my own theatre we went with Bagel Dogs again for the same reason. Being an art theatre you can't predict whether there will be none or 20 sales in a day and it seems wasteful to throw away 10 cooked hotdogs at the end of the shift.

We use Stein's Bagel Dogs. We started off ordering them from Sysco till they dropped the line. Now we just wander down to Costco each week and pick up one or two cases. A case has 8-packs of 12 dogs. Two cases will fit in the trunk of your Honda.

We charge $3.50 per dog and they cost about $1 per. We have Catsup, Mustard, Dijon Mustard and Relish in portion packs. I really wanted diced onions in a portion pack but Sysco doesn't carry it. We put about one case in the refrigerator for immediate use and the rest go in the freezer. They nuke for 45 seconds. We serve them in a hotdog cozy and a cardboard box.

There is a microwaveable standard hotdog available, but we felt that the Bagel Dog is a superior product. The only problem is explaining what it is to a dubious customer. Those that know, buy.

Re: Bagel Dogs? 30 May 2003 00:38 #26295

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Ditto, on the WHATS A BAGELDOG? We started to sell them this past month. Vienna Beef brand out of Chicago. They are yummy! We keep a bottle of catsup and mustard behind the concession counter. Some people like a little nacho cheese to dip them in. I like them as they are....plain. Don't make the mistake of handing out catsup or mustard packs....you'll find them smashed on your floors! Those darn kids!

Re: Bagel Dogs? 30 May 2003 05:17 #26296

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
We sell hot dogs (eisenberg), and the people LOVE them. During the week (monday - thursday) we cook about 6 per shift (2 shifts) and throw away from 2 to 4 per day. On the weekend, we end up cooking about 36 of them, and throw away about 4-10. I personally love bagel-dogs (I get them from Schwan's), but we are not willing to give up a proven item for a gamble! Selling both is unwise, as they compete against each other. Even with the spoilage, they are a profitable item that people enjoy.

Re: Bagel Dogs? 31 May 2003 14:05 #26297

OK, maybe I've been living under a rock, or maybe because of the area of the country I live in, but what the hell is a bagel dog?

Re: Bagel Dogs? 02 Jun 2003 17:22 #26298

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Its an all beef weiner with a wrap around bun on the outside, a bagel style wrapping. Kinda like a Coney-Dog, with the weiner exposed on both ends. But, the bun is actually a bagel, not the batter dipped coating of a Coney-Dog. Hope that helps. Actually, movie patrons ask the same thing.

Re: Bagel Dogs? 04 Jun 2003 15:06 #26299

We found in our theatres that corn dogs sold better then the bagel dogs. Corn dogs are also easily microwaved.
Jessica Barr-Chabot
Ready Theatre Systems
rts-solutions.com

Re: Bagel Dogs? 05 Jun 2003 11:36 #26300

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Big Guy - I've had Schwan's Bagel Dogs and thought them to be doughy, like they don't cook all the way through. They were cooked for the specified time. Did you have to make an adjustment in the cooking time?

Re: Bagel Dogs? 06 Jun 2003 07:19 #26301

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
2 1/2 minutes loosely wrapped in a paper towel, let them cool for about 3 minutes afterwards. The ends tend to get a little tough, but other than that they are great.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction