Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hot Dogs anyone?

Hot Dogs anyone? 31 Mar 2003 00:54 #26190

• MovieGuy
  • Gold Boarder
How many of ya sell hot dogs? And if so, are you using a steamer, roller, microwave??? I had seen a drive-in theatre selling pre-wrapped bun/dog that were tossed in a microwave, but I can't seem to find a source for these puppies! Anybody know of one?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 31 Mar 2003 16:09 #26191

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I sell steamed Casper's hot dogs. But,you can wrap your own dog and bun in a wax paper sheet and put it in the microwave for about 44 seconds. Your microwave might not take as long; mine is very old. Anyway the dogs taste great that way--but don't try to display them after they are cooked that way. They turn rubbery pretty fast if they are not consumed immediately.

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 31 Mar 2003 18:30 #26192

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
In my area, you need food handler's licenses if you sell hotdogs.

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 31 Mar 2003 22:13 #26193

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
By mistake,I ordered foot long hot dogs,and could not get buns to fit!I "special ordered" buns from a local bakery-paid a lot,but sales went thru the roof!!

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 01 Apr 2003 02:23 #26194

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I took the lame food handlers course last year. There was little, if any, relevancy to cooking hot dogs or popcorn. They (the bureaucracy) just want more of our money.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited April 01, 2003).]

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 02 Apr 2003 10:56 #26195

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
we're about to do hot dogs: roller / steamer/micro? Which is best?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 02 Apr 2003 14:27 #26196

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We sell Dr. Stein’s Bagel Dog. It is prepackaged and microwavable. This cuts down on spoilage and waste. We can microwave it in 45 seconds. Being an Art House, we didn't want to throw 10 cooked hotdogs away each night. Although it's one way to feed the staff.

Condiments are key:
Catsup
Mustard
Guldens Spice Brown Mustard
Dijon Mustard
Diced Onions
Jalapenos
Sport Peppers
Sweet Relish
Spicy Relish
Chopped Tomatoes
Pico de Gallo (Which is chopped Tomatoes, Jalapenos & Onions of course)
Sour Kraut
Season Salt
Hot Cheese
Chili
Bibs for the children

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 02 Apr 2003 17:32 #26197

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Spoilage is an issue we all hate to deal with. We had used a roller grill for a while, but we made them and they sat there and turned into beef jerkey

Now we just heat them in the microwave, no spoilage...and they are even fresher than sitting on a grill for a while.
While you're at it, don't forget the other menu items you can add:
Cheese Dog-use your nacho sauce
Jalapeno Dog- Top a hot dog with jalapeno peppers
If you use gehls cheese and their dispenser, they also have a chili sauce, they have a dual dispenser, you could add chili dogs, chili-cheese dogs, and chili cheese nachos...

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 03 Apr 2003 08:50 #26198

• Tony
  • Junior Boarder
What do you retail your hot dogs at?? Mike and I were discussing the idea of selling dogs during the day, but then a little market across the street just starting selling dogs at lunch for $1.00. They close each night at 5 so I'm not worried about it too much, but this town has been known to be "cherry pickers". How much is to much?

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 03 Apr 2003 11:33 #26199

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
In regards to your question Mike about which way to cook your hot dogs. I think steam is the best. Less equipment and easier to clean. Microwave dogs will split apart if they are not wraped in something. Just what I've experienced over the years.

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 03 Apr 2003 12:53 #26200

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I like steamed dogs the best. I had to buy a new steamer a couple weeks ago--the 20 year old one finally rusted out and was leaking on my counter. Star makes a good steamer. The one I bought holds more dogs than I could sell in a month, but the bun side will hold about 30 or so of the giant buns. Cost $530 total. Once the water is hot it takes about 20 minutes to cook a dog & bun to excellence. My new machine is a little harder to clean than the old one, which was smaller, but I'm getting used to it and it is getting easier.

I sell Caspers for $2.50, which is the going rate for that type of dog, at least around here. I am thinking of making a Coney Sauce in a crock pot though, which will add to the sales price. Ever had a good Coney Dog? (Chili dog minus the beans, with a secret ingredient in the sauce.) Topped with onions and/or cheese--delicious.

Re: Hot Dogs anyone? 04 Apr 2003 11:40 #26201

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
How many of you guys selling hot dogs have a triple compartment sink with plenty of drainboard room to set down utensils? Our local health department just visited us yesterday at the single screen. We sell only popcorn and drinks that register on their scoreboard and they ordered us to install a triple compartment sink. If we were to start selling hot dogs they would go nuts. Oh yeah, they already are nuts!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction