Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers

Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 09:13 #25953

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
We were about to go for the Cretors Diplomat 32 when a quote for a comprable Gold Medal at 1500.00 cheaper came in. Is the Cretors 32 1500.00 better than a Gold Medal?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 11:39 #25954

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have operated the Cretors 32 Diplomat for 20 years. This weekend I had a major problem with my popper and we didn't have popcorn for 2 shows. I finally asked the competition to pop corn for us which they did. Yesterday an employee and I spend 5 hours rebuilding our Dipolmat and we got it working again.

I do like the Diplomat and have no experience with the Gold Medal Popper. But being as you will be opeprating it in a low volume situation, I'd say go ahead and save the $1,500.

However if you had showed up on Sunday with a $6,000 brand new Creator's Diplomat, I would have gladly cut you a check for it. Running out of popcorn sucks and I would spend any amount of money not to have that happen again. After all we probably sold $6,000 worth of poppcorn last week!

[This message has been edited by Large (edited September 10, 2002).]

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 11:46 #25955

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
We have the ten commandments of concession ...

Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!
Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!Thou shalt not run out of popcorn!

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 11:57 #25956

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder

The Cretor's Diplomat

Gold Medal Pop-O-Gold 32 Ounce

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 11:59 #25957

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
Make sure you aren't comparing apple to oranges.

Make sure the price quote includes the bag-in-box oiler system and all the accessories.

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 12:24 #25958

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
If it helps we have no complaints or problems with our Gold Medal. I am wondering about the bag in the box setup - our competition uses it and their popcorn is not good according to all the complaints I hear about it.

What are your choices for oil and are they as good as my set up? We use a can of coconut oil with pump set up which was a$500 option on our Gold Medal.

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 13:53 #25959

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
What were you quoted for the Diplomat and what came with it?
lance

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 10 Sep 2002 18:02 #25960

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
The "guy" I mentioned a few times in other posts (the one that sells used cotton candy and slush machines) is the Gold Medal dealer for most of northern Wisconsin---last time I was at his place of business (also runs a homemade candy shop, with the best melts I ever tasted
)--he was on his way to try and rebuild not 1 but 2 gold medal poppers that were recently installed in 2 different theatres---somebody in the designing or engineer department seems to have made a slight mistake on a part that falls apart--I forgot if it had to do with the kettle mounts, or the stirrer, or both---but I know he is really frustrated with the new Gold Medals--if you want more info on what model/what is happening, let me know--I could call him and reply.

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 11 Sep 2002 16:49 #25961

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Stick with the Cretors! They are the best and run for years. Worth every penny. Gold Medal is only so-so.

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 11 Sep 2002 19:17 #25962

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Who would buy used Cotton Candy??

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 11 Sep 2002 22:20 #25963

• Mill
  • Expert Boarder
We use the Gold Medal and it's been great for us. I'm not so sure if I would want bag in a box oil. With the oil in buckets I can fill the oil back up before a rush and not worry about running out. I realize that it's not difficult to change the bag in a box but one less thing to do durring the rush is all the better.

One thing that is difficult (ok not really difficult just tricky maybe) with the Gold Medal popper is that because the pot is on the right side of the machine to clean it (while leaving it inside the machine) employees have to scrub with their left hand. Seeing how most people are right handed it makes training all the more fun.
But the pot (kettle) can also be removed very easily for cleaning...just don't get the box on the bottom wet.

No matter what you buy just remember that (depending on your theatre)you're going to have 20-30 teenagers using and "taking care" of it. (or abusing and breaking it)

$1500 can buy alot of replacement parts.

[This message has been edited by Mill (edited September 11, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mill (edited September 11, 2002).]

Re: Gold Medal vs. Cretors poppers 12 Sep 2002 12:10 #25964

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
I've used both brands of poppers, and haven't really had that much trouble with either. The Cretors at the theatres I've run have just kept running and running,(while ok, they have needed some new parts-but they do get tons of use). I have personally used a small 12 oz gold medal (in my side concession business) for about 10 years,and never had any problems. I recently bought a used Gold Medal Astro Pop 20 oz popper with base,neon sign, and bucket pump, off ebay for $1200.00 to use in an ice cream store I just bought. While I haven't used it yet,(we just closed on the property) it does look like a very nice popper. If anyone is interested in a similar popper let me know, the company I bought it from, has several of them (they come out of old Target Department stores.)I think as long as you are "good to your popper" it will be good to you...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction