Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand real butter & coconut oil
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: real butter & coconut oil

real butter & coconut oil 18 Aug 2001 18:59 #25784

Are we the only guys on the planet that use real butter and coconut oil?

any feedback?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: real butter & coconut oil 18 Aug 2001 21:09 #25785

Real coconut oil here too - wouldn't think of anything else because it tastes so much better. Sorry, butter is Dress-all which is the best butter (margarine?) stocked by any of our distributors. Called O'Dells - they don't have a local distributor.

Re: real butter & coconut oil 19 Aug 2001 14:00 #25786

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Were Odel's real butter and canola oil.

Re: real butter & coconut oil 02 Apr 2002 19:38 #25787

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
I am glad I found this "old" post--but wish more would of or will respond--I refuse to use anything but coconut oil as it does make the best tasting/smelling popcorn---my problem is with the "topping"--I am nervouse using real "store bought" butter because of the salmanella issues--I have tried O'dells real butterfat, but customers didn't like--they complained about it being "too rich" which I spose when your used to 40% butterfat butter at home--and go to 99% butterfat, would be richer tasting, I have used the O'dells artificial topping until Ameriserve went bankrupt--then had no localized dealer--now using "poppin-toppin" made by Ventura foods--I actually like it better than O'dells.

I am wondering how many use real store-bought butter?--aside from the skimming, nightly sanitizing, and needing a refrigerator to store it--what are the upsides (other than taste) and downsides to it?

Re: real butter & coconut oil 03 Apr 2002 13:20 #25788

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We love our O'Dells real butter but one time when we ran out, we purchased butter from the supermarket as a replacement. It tasted fine at first but the kids tried to save it over night. That was a huge mistake as it turned rancid. So the next time we ran out, I made the kids use very little at a time and throw out the rest at the end of the night. Then we would have to clean everything thoughly. O'Dells real butterfat and butter from the store are two very different things.

By the way, our patrons love our butter.

Re: real butter & coconut oil 06 Apr 2002 00:13 #25789

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
We use Canola oil, and Orvile's Pop 'n top.

We used Coconut oil for like 2 weeks when breaking in a new popper and had nothing but complaints, ( there is something wrong with the popcorn it tasts awful ) was a common complaint... coconut oil seems to make much heavier corn and seems greasy...

Tony.
tony.

Re: real butter & coconut oil 06 Apr 2002 12:45 #25790

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Tony,

I have 2 questions if you don't mind--first, did you check popper temp when using coconut oil and did you use any salt or seasoning in the popping cycle?--I use plain popcorn salt in the popping cycle and the few times I forgot the popcorn did have a different taste, but with salt my customers swear it is the best.

I am sure different areas of the country have different tastes (we have to put up with the sulphur smell from a paper mill a few blocks away--that really makes everything taste different here lol)--but in the theatre I purchased a couple years ago, they had terrible popcorn sales, we switched to coconut oil as I have done in all the others, and the sales increased almost 200%--plus sell very few smalls, mostly the larger sizes go.

Jim

Re: real butter & coconut oil 15 Apr 2002 01:48 #25791

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I use soybean popcorn oil, Flavacal (butter flavored salt) and real butter. It tastes great with and without the real butter. I haven't had any problems with the butter, but we heat small quantities.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction