Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where will it end??

Where will it end?? 31 Oct 2001 13:22 #25761

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
Popcorn 4 sizes, 6 fountian drinks 4 sizes, 4 bottled drinks plus water, Hot Dogs, Brats, Pretzels 4 flavors, 8 frozen treats, 15+ candies. Nightly inventory is a nightmare!! Everything my owner sees at another theatre he wants... Our bakery for cookies, brownies and donuts is going in now and the cotton candy machine is on order!!

Is this getting to be the standard?? what ever happen to Popcorn & Pop
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where will it end?? 31 Oct 2001 14:18 #25762

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It sure seems to be what is going on, doesn't it. Popcorn,Soda, Candy will always be the top $$$ makers, but there is room for additional items. You also need to remember that every market is a little different. What may sell great in one location, won't sell at all in another. But, I'm always open to testing new things, and going from there. You need to ask yourself some questions to see if you should continue selling certain items:
Do I sell enough of this item to justify keeping it on the menu?
Does my profit from this item justify keeping it on the menu?
Is selling this item taking away sales from a more profitable item I sell?
Am I spoiling more of this item than I am selling?
Is the prep/work involved making this item slowing down my employees?

Remember proper merchandising of items is extremely important, and may be the cause of a success or failure.
IF i were the average theatre(not a big city art house high $$$ end crowd)I would go with the staples, Popcorn, Soda, Candy-and these additional items,Nachos,Pretzels,Cotton Candy, Sno-Cones--these additional items are easy to prepare,not much to store,and very Profitable. I would dump those expensive juices,and muffins,cookies etc. Too much labor to prepare too much spoilage,not enough sales..
Every market is different...see what works in yours.

Re: Where will it end?? 05 Nov 2001 13:57 #25763

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I think it all has to do with your state of mind. Customers will pretty much buy what is there for them to choose from. If you have the staples, popcorn, soda, and candy you should be okay. Anything other then that is just filler. Getting on the extra food merry-go-round is totally up to the individual.

Re: Where will it end?? 04 Mar 2002 13:24 #25764

I am thinking about putting in some extras behind my the concession stand. The problem I face is space. Would it be worth giving up some of the standards to branch out into new territories such as cotton candy and pretzels?

Re: Where will it end?? 04 Mar 2002 19:17 #25765

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
SilverSpider---

If you haven't added cotton candy yet---great money maker---I bag it up, and depending on heat/humidity can get anywhere from 2 days to a week before it shrinks up.

I was worried about the mess---but much easier to clean than junior mints.

A bag, not counting equipment or labor, costs me about 10 cents, including bag.
I sell for $2.00, which is between $1-$1.50 cheaper than the carnivals.

I use the "Whirlwind"--don't buy the little cheaper machine--as way too slow. I have a dealer that sells refurbished machines for $500 and have 1 in each of my theatres.

Re: Where will it end?? 05 Mar 2002 00:32 #25766

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Yes cotton candy can be a real good seller. I buy mine premade from a local supplier. It comes in a clear plastic tub and is available in several colors. I only sell it during kid shows, and it sells very well. I just call in an order and he makes it for me for pickup the next day. Both my staff and I think it tastes just as good as if freshly made. Most people take the tubs with them, so there is almost no mess. I usually never have an order that lasts a week, and we haven't seen any change in the taste or texture during that time. This way there is no investment in equipment, or payroll time, utilities or anything... just profit.

Re: Where will it end?? 05 Mar 2002 09:25 #25767

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You asked if you should "give up" selling some staples to try something new. NO WAY, there's a reason we have these "staples" they sell well, and they are high profit items. Only add what you can handle, and make sure it doesn't cannabalize the sales of a higher profit item. You mentioned cotton candy in your post, you can get a machine cheap and keep it in the back room, you then make it up once a week and bag it. Then hang it from the ceiling, or string some along the front of the vending stand, that way you don't have to give up any space for something else.

Re: Where will it end?? 05 Mar 2002 09:38 #25768

Thanks trackfood! You have some great ideas and I will use them if I decide to go with the cotton candy idea.

Re: Where will it end?? 05 Mar 2002 09:59 #25769

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The Rodeo 3 Drive-in theater (Port Orchard, Wash.) which is our competitor, sells cotton candy and does very well with it indeed! They ran a wire across the ceiling from one end of the snack bar to the other end and hang the bagged cotton candy from the wire with a "chip clip" you get at the grocery store. This type of display seems to sell the cotton candy the best.

Re: Where will it end?? 24 Mar 2002 10:57 #25770

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
I have been toying with the cotton candy idea. Any suggestions on a brand of entry level maching for a triple? What should I look for in a machine? Which brand is the easiest to clean, throws sugar the least? I am thinking a 115V machine so I could take it outside during sidewalk sale days. any suggestions?
thanks
lance

Re: Where will it end?? 04 Apr 2002 17:05 #25771

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Who is the guy who sells used gear for 500.00 for cotton candy?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Where will it end?? 04 Apr 2002 17:30 #25772

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
The guy who I deal with is the Gold Medal dealer for my area--which is in northern Wisconsin. I was there last week and he had 5 used, reconditioned Wirlwinds ready to go. He also deals in many other items new or used i.e. slush machines, poppers, ect. If shipping wouldn't scare you--and you want to talk to him, e-mail me and I will give you his name/number.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction