Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Restoration of popcorn machine
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restoration of popcorn machine

Restoration of popcorn machine 21 Aug 2001 03:32 #25610

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a cool Cretors popper that was made in the 60's. It makes the best popcorn. But it is looking a little shabby and two days ago started screaming when it had been worked hard--the noise went away when it was allowed to cool down and produced another fine batch of corn. But the noise came back the next night after a few batches and had to cool down again. I would like to have the machine restored, but Cretors is of no help. They said they don't have parts any more and said a new popper with similar features would cost $7,000. Anyone know anybody or company that restores these machines? I want the motor rebuilt and all the painted surfaces inside and out redone. I plan on buying a smaller, used machine to use during the restoration if it can be done.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Restoration of popcorn machine 21 Aug 2001 09:24 #25611

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
You probably need to buy the latest Kettle Assembly (it's an upgrade/conversion kit). The Rodeo 3 Drivein has an old Cretor's President and theirs is ancient, but Cretors had a conversion kit for it which consisted of a complete brand new very large Kettle assembly.

The Harlan Fairbanks company branch office in Seattle (206-824-6821) has a back room where they do nothing but repair/rebuild/restore popcorn poppers (Gold Medal brand is their specialty, but they can do other brands). They totaly strip the kettles and sand blast them. Then they install all new heat elements/thermostats/hardware. The cabinets are pressure washed and painted if need be.

Ask your local concessions suppliers if they do popcorn popper repair and chances are they too should have a "back room" where they do that sort of thing.

Re: Restoration of popcorn machine 21 Aug 2001 19:58 #25612

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, Ken. I will continue to check around.

Re: Restoration of popcorn machine 22 Aug 2001 17:18 #25613

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We had an old Manley. Very cool! Really 50's or whatever! I mean out of a nostalgia factory. But as it slowly died we had to face it: we needed a new popper. Could not find parts and we were always running out! We finally went for a Cretors Diplomat and I can't say it makes pops as good but man oh man it does make corn! We can not be overrun. If you can fix it: do it. If you can't: get a new machine and you will love it! Often any food service outfit can re-do the things as it's very basic. Cretors may not help but any Cretors dealer should. Try a few. Good luck. By the way: if it's making noise prepare for a hard landing. Think of it as an airplane. The landing won't just be coasting to a stop. You'll come in burning into dense forest and mountains. Better to fix it before you fly!@

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re:Restoration of popcorn machine 29 May 2010 23:10 #34079

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I just googled a bit to see if I can find somebody who specializes in restoring old cretors poppers and this is the site that came up. Should have known to start here in the first place.

Since its been a while... you still have your machine, Burney?
Ever found somebody who could help?

Thanks,

Jay

Re:Restoration of popcorn machine 30 May 2010 20:51 #34080

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you have a MANLEY popper, here is an excellent site for restoring it:

manleypopcornmachine.com/

Be sure to check out the forums there, too. There are now some folks reproducing parts for Manley popcorn poppers and they can be found at the above site.

Re:Restoration of popcorn machine 31 May 2010 01:58 #34083

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Ken for the link."Unfortunately" I have a Cretors Ambassador. So far it is still running good and when ever I had a problem I could fix it myself, but you never know when things will break. If anybody has a picture of one (not the old advertising) that would be great too.

Jay
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction