Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters Concession Stand Cans or fountain for soda best?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cans or fountain for soda best?

Cans or fountain for soda best? 09 Aug 2000 11:45 #25545

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
We have a small concession stand which only two can work behind. We also have a smallish lobby and there's about 10' from front doors to the front of the concession stand. With three screens: when it's busy it's really busy. We had a fountain when we started but we doubled the business almost over night and the fountain went so slow and foamed like a buzzard so we installed a big cooler and went all cans! We bought our own coolwer so we didn't have to take ONLY Coke or Pepsi products and we have about 20 choices of water, juices, sodas, etc.
The clean up is much easier/ less spill and sticky floors to worry about. But you can't "SUPER SIZE THAT?" and the mark up is much less.

Are we nuts? What would you do? What do you do?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 09 Aug 2000 12:31 #25546

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Was your fountain head system running with tanks or bag-in-box? Did you have fast flow heads?

You can't make enough money just selling canned pop and besides, how would you tell if somebody sneaked in a can of their own pop?

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 09 Aug 2000 19:56 #25547

• RICK
  • Junior Boarder
THE ROOM TEMP HAS A VERY BIG EFFECT ON THE FOAMING OF THE TANK TYPE SYSTEMS. ALSO STYROFOAM CUPS WILL CAUSE MORE FOAM ESP WITH DIET COKE I HAVE NOTICED. SOMETHING ABOUT THE REACTION WITH THE POP DOES IT. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE BAG IN THE BOX SYSTEM-- IT'S THE ONLY WAY A THEATER CAN MAKE MONEY SELLING POP. I HAVE FOUND NOT PUTTING IN AS MUCH ICE IN THE DRINK WILL CUT DOWN ALOT IN THE MESS AREA.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 09 Aug 2000 21:50 #25548

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
We use cans and bottles at the Avalon. The mark-up is lower but the "not screw with it" factor is high. We recycle all the cans so no garbage. Spills are minimal and they move quickly across the counter -- no waiting for the cup to fill, finding the right lid, and keeping the straws supplied. Avoids the refill question and we choose what we carry. If we run out we can go to Safeway for more cans or even Henery's Rootbeer. We carry some of the natural sodas and i mark up about 150% -- which isn't enough for many of the high-overhead houses, but it keeps the power on here. If you move high volume, keep a cooler in the back with 12 packs or flats cooling ready to be moved out to the front cooler.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 11 Aug 2000 19:10 #25549

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Good comments

1. we used cans and it was at room temp feeding a counter top and the cans were in the basement room underneath the concession.

2. I've heard bag/box is quite the way to go.

3. You do use ice?

4. Hows the spill factor?

5. Tell me about fast flow heads!

6. If I did change over I'd buy the equipment so I didn't have to be dictated to by Copke or Pepsi. They make film distributors look like school kids!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 14 Aug 2000 10:27 #25550

Hi All-As a movie goer I'd just like to contribute these few words of wisdom about cans v.s. fountain. I prefer cans for one reason. Sometimes when you order fountain the mix is wrong and you either end up with carbonated water with just a hint of color. Or this sickly syrup stuff. A can is a shure bet.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 16 Aug 2000 16:39 #25551

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When I am purchasing a beverage, I want the whole experience, Ice, Drink, Cup and lid. I don't like getting cans at restaurants or movie theatres. We charge $2.25, $2.75 $ 3.25 for our drinks. Coke set up the equipment and leases it to us for $20 per month. We serve a good product and rarely get complaints.

If I were going to serve canned products, I would just get vending machines and not have a staff. This is a fantasy of mine for the past 12 years.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 17 Aug 2000 01:41 #25552

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I also have coke, and have for the past 30 years. I put my third refreshment stand in in 1987, and each time Coke put all the equipment in FREE. No monthly charges, and I get three free service calls per year. I use bag in the box, and don't have to do a thing...they come in weekly and change whatever is needed.

Why do you have to pay for the equipment?

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 17 Aug 2000 07:57 #25553

• RICK
  • Junior Boarder
I USE COKE BAG IN THE BOX. THEY CAME IN SET IT UP AND IT'S ALL FREE. THERE IS AN 800 NUMBER TO CALL COKE USA WHICH I HAVE CALLED A FEW TIMES . YOU GET ALMOST IMMEDIATE RESPONSE WHEN U CALL COKE USA. THE LOCAL COKE CO. ASKS THAT I CALL THEM WHICH I NORMALLY DUE UNLESS THEY SCREW UP AND DON'T GET HERE. THEN A CALL TO COKE USA AND THEY AREE HERE RIGHT NOW.
BAG IN THE BOX IS THE BEST SYSTEM THE PRE MIX ( CANS) ARE A PAIN AS THEY DON'T HOLD THAT MUCH AND NEED TO BE CHANGED SO OFTEN.IT'S ALSO CHEAPER PER OUNCE WITH Bag in the box.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 18 Aug 2000 11:50 #25554

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I'll bet Coke would tell me but allow me to ask...how much per oz is Coke, etc. And oh-oh ....this means ice too! Does anyone not use ice? So My tiny con stand would need ice supplies too.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 18 Aug 2000 12:29 #25555

• RICK
  • Junior Boarder
MIKE I DON'T REMEMBER HOW THE MIX IS. FOR A BOX I PAY RIGHT AT $45.00. I AM SURE THE PRICE VARIES AROUND THE COUNTRY. AS FAR AS ICE GOES I HAVE THE MACHINE DOWNSTAIRS AND JUST USE A COOLER TO KEEP IT IN THE CONCESSION IT WORKS JUST FINE AND DOESN'T TAKE UP MUCH ROOM

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 18 Aug 2000 13:19 #25556

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you call Coke or Pepsi the rep will work up a profit spreadsheet for you based on whatever prices you tell them. When you see those 1000% profit margins, you will be sold.

When I used to buy canned Coke from the distributor, it cost me $.35 per can. What can you sell a can of soda for now? $1.00 or $2.00 in a concession stand.

We pay $41 for a box of syrup. The Mix is 5-1. 5+1=6, 6x5=30. 30 gallons of Coke for $41.00. 30 gal x 128 oz = 3840 oz. Cost is $.010677 per oz. Small drink pour is 12 oz in a 22 oz cup with 10 oz of ice. Product cost is $.128, Cup cost is $.07 Ice cost I'll give you at $.03. Labour cost should be $.05. My theoretical small Coke cost $.278 to serve, we charge the customer $2.75 for it. You do the math.

Re: Cans or fountain for soda best? 18 Aug 2000 13:51 #25557

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
I am not worthy! I am not worthy! Thank you Large! That's serious math and I notice that costs barely increase as prices go up so thour profit really starts to shriek as you hit the medium and the Grande!
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction