Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Heating Woes

Re: Heating Woes 23 Dec 2004 09:39 #24735

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That's not far from what I paid for my indoor, Mike. It had about 21,000 sf (including upstairs booth, office & storage spaces), & my gas bill ran a bit over $1k/mo during the major heating season.

When Summer rolled around, the gas bill dropped, but my electric went up, due to increased AC usage.

[This message has been edited by rodeojack (edited December 23, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Heating Woes 23 Dec 2004 12:33 #24736

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
luckily we're cold enough that ac is not even on the radar!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Heating Woes 29 Dec 2004 21:52 #24737

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
My theatre has the same chiller-type setup as wimovieman, except that it was/is all water from it's 1938 installation.

Mine actually started as a coal funace. The original furnace is still there. It obviously was installed before the ceiling to the basement boiler room was. For this thing is about 15'x6'x8'. Creepy, but a cool relick.
Over the years, an oil boiler was installed and then a gas boiler, which I have now.

TIP: Contact the gas company. They gave me a free assessment of my boiler capacity vs the building.

As for the A/C part, my system is hooked up to a well. So A/C was pretty cheap when we first bought the theatre in 1996. But within a cold years the well dry up for some reason and it was too expensive to fix.
So here is what we did:
We installed a forced air HVAC system for the lobby only. We super cool the lobby and let the cold air flow down into the main floor auditorium.
Our balcony is closed in to make a separate house, and it has it's own roof-top A/C unit.
The way the chiller system in the building is designed, the returns are in the front of the lobby. So if we need extra cooling or heat in the main floor house, we turn on the old big furnace fan and pull the cool/warm air out of the lobby down into the catacombs of the original HVAC system and back up into the house.

We also still use the original coils for heating the main and balcony houses.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction