Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Independent Start Up

Re: Independent Start Up 24 Jun 2002 20:59 #23345

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Independent Start Up 24 Jun 2002 21:26 #23346

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
That took me right to it.
Thanks Ken!

Re: Independent Start Up 24 Jun 2002 23:10 #23347

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I just finished reading all of Rich Peterson's Exhibition 101. Although I can't say that I learned much that was new as I have been in this business even longer then he has, I will say that he covers things quite well. It is not only presented in a very informative and easily read manner, but rather in a style that makes it very enjoyable reading as well. The humorous style makes for amusing consumption of the material, and would be even funnier if it wasn't for the fact that what he says is true.

I hereby highly recommend that all of you that are trying to learn this business so that you can strike out on your own as exhibitors, take the time to read it all. But remember, it is not the end in of itself. There is much more to be learned, and here as well as other theatre related websites are among the best places to hang around to get that firsthand information.

For the technical info, do as others have already said... check out Film-Tech as there are people there that know everything about the presentation of film and sound and what it takes to deliver a first rate (film done right) presentation. On the other hand stay away from asking questions or studying management related topics at that site as most of them, as good as they are as technicians and projectionist, don't know two hoots about the management end of running a theatre. I don't mean that as a putdown, as they are very good at what they do, but they just don't have the experience in the management end to give good advise. It is important for you to realize that manager-operators, and even general managers in a multi-plex are not given nearly all the knowledge that is needed to run a theatre as an owner. They are taught just what they need to know to successfully manage their facilty. However, there is much more that must be mastered to completely oversee an entire theatre operation. As a theatre owner you must know everything, not just one department or one aspect of the enterprise. There are many fine and successful independent owners right here in this forum. That is why this is such a great place to hang out and learn from there expertise.

A good way to truly learn the business is to get a job at a theatre and learn everything there is to learn, as others have already pointed out. The best way is to work for an independent owner that has been in business for many years. Someone that has gone through it all, and done it all, and is willing to share his/her experiences and knowledge with you. And if he is getting ready to retire sometime soon... even the better. His theatre might be available for you to step right in and take over.

Re: Independent Start Up 27 Jun 2002 20:01 #23348

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I will have a manager at site # 2 in our ever increasing chain of exhibition giants! And I can tell you, as Roxy says, there is a lot the person will not have one clue about. As loong as they can't figure out how to steal!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction