Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3D Expansion News

3D Expansion News 15 Sep 2009 10:52 #32324

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
At long last 3-D is finally rolling out to more theaters, which means great news for movie theater chains and studios who, with the technology, can charge more for tickets and pack theaters.

This comes on the news that JP Morgan will finance up to 15,000 digital cinema installations over the next five years at the three biggest theater chains, Regal, Cinemark, and AMC, which is private. Next week JP Morgan is sending out the briefing books for the $525 million financing - $325 million bank syndication and $200 million in equity from private equity funds and the theater chains themselves.

The digital systems will enable movies to be sent digitally, saving studios the hefty cost of the prints and shipping them around the country. In turn the studios have agreed to "virtual print fee deals," which effectively allows the studios to put their savings on print fees towards helping the theaters cover the costs of the new systems.

This is a long time in coming: DCIP (Digital Cinema Implementation Partners), had planned to roll out the new systems at the beginning of 2009 but the credit crunch made that an impossibility. It's a huge deal: now there may not even be 2,000 3-D theaters in North America. If all goes as planned this new injection of cash will ensure that there are 2,500 screens by the debut of much-anticipated "Avatar" from 20th Century Fox in December.

Next week there's a big 3-D Entertainment Summit in Universal City (right in the back yard of our Los Angeles Bureau) and we can expect to hear more then about the rollout of 3-D and what it means for the industry. Also next week, Technicolor is introducing a new way to turn traditional celluloid film into 3-D, which should be a cost-saving from the digital systems 3-D usually requires.

www.cnbc.com/id/32804099
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:3D Expansion News 15 Sep 2009 13:41 #32329

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The last part of that post got my attention. With minimal digging Ifound the following article. Sounds interesting.

Original Link:

www.technicolor.com/GlobalEnglish/Delive...D/Pages/default.aspx

From the Technicolor Website:
3D in Vivid Color – Technicolor has invented a whole new way to see film in 3D by leveraging the time-honored power and richness of celluloid. The exceptional image quality will leave you awestruck. For those who love the richness and saturation that film provides, the Technicolor 3D system can surpass current expectations. Look closely at the gradients, the brightness, the flesh tones of the human form. For a film-loving society that is hungry for an escape from the everyday, there’s no question that this technology is the start of something really engaging.

Affordable 3D - How, we asked, can we bring the immersive and thrilling experience of 3D to the theater without the huge barrier of investment? Technicolor welcomes you to a 3D that exists without costly and elaborate systems. Install the new Technicolor 3D lens system on your existing 35mm projector and open the door for additional 3D screens to help drive increased attendance and 3D ticket premiums.

3D Everywhere - By leveraging our knowledge and experience, we have created a system that offers a solution to the shortage of 3D screens in the marketplace. Until now, 3D has been reserved for the few. Now, there is no wait for a cost effective system that makes 3D films accessible to everyone, everywhere.

To learn more, contact Hunter Simon at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

To download the Technicolor 3D brochure, click here.

Re:3D Expansion News 15 Sep 2009 21:19 #32335

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
THIS IS BIG BIG NEWS.............ANYONE???????

Re:3D Expansion News 16 Sep 2009 12:26 #32337

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think I would go for it. I don't have room for digital and 35mm equipment in my booth so this would work until the digital stuff settles in a little better.

Re:3D Expansion News 16 Sep 2009 20:50 #32339

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
i cant believe this is big news if it works!

Re:3D Expansion News 16 Sep 2009 22:22 #32340

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
This is an over/under system using a single lens. As a couple of others have noted, this could be of interest to small theatre companies who would like to do 3-D, but don't see $30-50 grand dropping in their laps to do digital.

For a silver screen and a $7K (leasable) lens, it's not a bad system if they can convince studios to add another print style to their inventories.

Re:3D Expansion News 17 Sep 2009 09:01 #32345

• lionheart
  • Gold Boarder
I believe print availability will be the key if this system gets adopted by studios. I think it is still a great idea, but getting that 3D print you need might be tough. It's hard enough to get any print sometimes, but then you would need to specify a 3D print which is probably not all of them.

Also, if widely adopted it could be that all exhibitors would be required to have this 3D equipment in order to get any print at all. They may all be 3D. It's good that it will cost less than digital, but some may still find it hard to swallow.

Back in the '50's, did they have non-3D prints available on 3D releases?

Re:3D Expansion News 17 Sep 2009 12:27 #32346

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The studios may look at this as more cash for 3d prints as the ticket price is higher

Re:3D Expansion News 18 Sep 2009 19:06 #32373

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
lionheart wrote:
Back in the '50's, did they have non-3D prints available on 3D releases?

Yup, I can't think of any that didn't. "It Came From Outer Space", "Creature from the Black Lagoon", "House of Wax", "Dial M For Murder", etc., all had "flat" releases.

Re:3D Expansion News 04 Oct 2009 16:19 #32475

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
HAS ANYONE CALLED ON THIS YET........

Re:3D Expansion News 05 Oct 2009 09:50 #32487

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
They' ll have a demonstration during Showeast. Something to look forward to.

Re:3D Expansion News 10 Nov 2009 19:05 #32784

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
I saw the demonstration on Showeast and it impressed me enough to at least get more information.
I couldn't find anybody at the theater to talk to and since they didn't have a booth, I left a message with the lady who answered at the provided contact telephone number. I hoped somebody would call me back and meet with me at Showeast. Never happened (neither call back nor meeting). Sunday after Showeast I wrote an email to the provided contact E-mail. No reply. Found a different e-mail on the Net. No reply.
Since there is no way somebody can be too busy to quickly answer an email, I only can think of two other reasons I haven't heard from them: Either my business is to small to bother (little 2 screen) or the system fell short of expectations and is cancelled already.

Jay
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction