Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Do you like being a theatre owner?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you like being a theatre owner?

Do you like being a theatre owner? 14 Dec 2008 18:05 #30535

• bob1007
  • Fresh Boarder
I used to manage theatres in my earlier days and I swore back then that if I get back into it, it would be as an owner. So I was wondering for those who own/lease a movie theatre...

a) What inspired you to become a theatre owner versus working for a theatre chain?

b) Has the overall experience been as you thought it might?

c) Are you able to make a decent living by your standards?

Please feel free to elaborate on any and all aspects of your experiences.

Thanks,
Robert
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Do you like being a theatre owner? 15 Dec 2008 09:44 #30540

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Robert,

Welcome to the forum. I became a theater owner five years ago (It seems like only a few months ago). I never really considered working for a theater chain. Being my own boss and making my own decisions was the appeal to me.

I have to say that the experience has been positive, but it is sure hard to pay the bills sometimes. Overall, the theater pays for itself and my home (we live upstairs from the theater) but it doesn't have much extra to give me a big paycheck. We're working on that part, and we might get there but, for now, my wife is looking for work to help us out.

I think the overall experience has been good but it has frustrations that oftentimes match it's joys.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Do you like being a theatre owner? 19 Dec 2008 22:00 #30567

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Leeler has it pretty well nailed.

Some of us do fairly well in this business. Others, maybe not so much so. It's that way with everything.

One thing, though. If this business gets in your blood, you'll do a lot to find ways to make it work... maybe more so than most other professions. Broadcasting is the same way, and I've done both. Tends to make one a basket case, but that can be a good thing sometimes.

Welcome to the forums!

Re:Do you like being a theatre owner? 11 Feb 2009 09:54 #30864

• kassady
  • Fresh Boarder
I own 3 theatres and actually inherited them in a round about way. I embrace the business, but as an independent, I find the film companies, at certain times of the year create a monopoly with the distribution of film product to Loews and AMC, Clearview etc. The experience is grand when business is slamming, you have great films and your onscreen. However, staffing is a constant battle and securing solid, well, trained projectionists another. The income is not as good as it used to be. The competition is fierce. The film companies expand their marketing strategies which has you playing the same film as the mall and the small trio all within 14 miles of each other. The splits are never in your favor along with the "House Allowance," and the "Open Checkers" haunt you, but are honest. The "Blind Checkers" rarely show up, but fabricate their numbers which is a big problem.
I am still searching for a motivated, responsible theatre manager with projection experience and will probably be doing so until I finally sell. I rather miss the projectionist union. I cannot believe that I am writing this. They came in and they did the job... Perhaps, a little disheveled or unkempt, but they knew how to keep you onscreen.

Re:Do you like being a theatre owner? 12 Feb 2009 03:29 #30872

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Kassady:

In what state are your theatres located?
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction