Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office CC processing and network connections
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: CC processing and network connections

CC processing and network connections 23 Oct 2008 16:52 #30177

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
For the people that read this and are processing credit card transactions, what type of connectivity are you using? DIrect dial for each transaction? Alway on commercial link (T1, &c.)? Local commercial cable or DSL connections?

I'm guessing that the "up" speed doesn't require a substantial amount of bandwidth, so something between 512k and 1m should be sufficient, correct? Latency is probably the more important measure of how well the link will work for CC handling.

I'm looking at two DSL connections to a theatre, one for wireless access for patrons, the other for CC processing and box-office reporting, the latter being firewalled under pretty strict rules. Though I would do that in any case, the firewalling is even more important since virtually every ticketing product out there with a reasonable UI (IE., non-text) is built around Windows.

What have your experiences been?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:CC processing and network connections 24 Oct 2008 14:53 #30186

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We clear CC through RTS which uses the internet to Mercurypay. Works fast. I use plain DSL no added high rate packages just your basic. You do not need a static IP either. You can always use a free package like dynamic dns to look like you have a static IP.

Re:CC processing and network connections 29 Oct 2008 19:23 #30230

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Also make sure not to process CC over a wireless network.
It's impossible to 100% completely secure a wireless network.

Re:CC processing and network connections 29 Oct 2008 20:17 #30231

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I also use RTS for my CC processing. In the years since I installed it, I've used dial-up, 64 and 128k ISDN, DSL and broadband cable. All work well with this system. There just isn't that much data exchange for any of these methods to get noticeably bottled up.

I also have used wireless in the past. Seems I recall the exchange is pretty effectively encrypted, so a protected wireless wouldn't seem to be all that risky.

As for your wi-fi setup, you don't need to have two dsl lines. Just set up two routers. Firewall the heck out of the one that your network's on and open up the rules on the one you let the public use.

There are software packages out there that allow you to control access to the hotspot. The most common usage is to allow you to charge for the use. You can always make it free, while using the system to collect information about who your customers are, maybe even promoting emailed newsletters and daily specials, and keeping an eye out for any abuse by neighbors and off-hour "sponges".

Re:CC processing and network connections 30 Dec 2008 20:59 #30620

• MicahWes
  • Fresh Boarder
CC authorizations need VERY little bandwith. They are like 40kb (or less) packets, each way.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction