Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Need help with applying for theater management position
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need help with applying for theater management position

Need help with applying for theater management position 04 Mar 2006 15:38 #25035

• hastal
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi. My partner and I co-own 2 movie theaters. The reason I'm writing here is because we are unfortunately going to be closing one of our theaters. This means that I'm going to need to find a full-time job and I'm hoping to find a theater management job at one of the "competing" theaters. I have a few questions I wanted to ask and hopefully some of you will be able to help me out.

My main question is in regards to salary. The applications want to have a desired salary listed. Normally I would just write "negotitable", but one of the theaters specifically say they won't except applications that say that, so that's not an option. I'm not exactly sure what the going rate is for a theater manager. Since I co-own the theaters, I don't get a regular salary, so I don't have anything to go by. As far as my qualifications go, I have 6 years of theater management experience between both theaters and I do just about everything, including: running concession and ticket stands; staffing, hiring, training, and delegating employees; creating showtime and employee work schedules; deciding what movies to show; threading and starting/ending movies; and so forth. I also have a bachelors degree in Management. One of my main things is I want to make sure I'm compensated for the amount of driving I would be doing. The nearest theaters to us are 30-45 mins away and there are some other ones that are 1 hour-1hr 15 mins away.

I can't think of any other questions right now, but I'll post them here if I think of any more.

Would anybody be interested in looking over my resume and giving me critiques? If so, let me know and I can email it to you when I have it ready. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Need help with applying for theater management position 04 Mar 2006 16:13 #25036

• hastal
  • Fresh Boarder
I just thought of something else. I'm a little uncertain of what type of resume to use, chronological, functional, or combination. Since I run both theaters, I just pretty much similar things for both of them, so I don't think chronological would work because normally you would list your accomplishments at all of your jobs and I would probably end up listing the same thing for both theaters. Any suggestions on how I can organize the resume?

Re: Need help with applying for theater management position 04 Mar 2006 22:00 #25037

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
I don't know how much the wages would be as I am in Australia, but Im sure somewhere online you would have a table of wages for your job description? In Australia we have a site called wagenet which details award wages for all jobs in aust (as far as I know)Im sure you would have something similar.
As for your resume, Id do it showing where you have worked and what your job entailed. Don't make it too long as people don't want to trawl through reams of paper, but short and to the point. If they want to know more they will ask you. Put in it your goals for the future etc.Look online for samples of resumes and pick bits you want to use. Good Luck

Re: Need help with applying for theater management position 05 Mar 2006 12:04 #25038

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
how many screens and what part of the country will help decide pay scale....

Re: Need help with applying for theater management position 05 Mar 2006 13:32 #25039

• hastal
  • Fresh Boarder
slapintheface: as far as the number of screens go, do you mean the ones that I currently manage, or the ones that I plan on applying for? I would be applying for theaters in Mid-Michigan, probably towards or in larger cities like Grand Rapids. Hopefully this helps.

Re: Need help with applying for theater management position 10 Mar 2006 15:55 #25040

• hastal
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, I have a rough draft of my resume put together. Is anyone interested in looking at it and giving any advise? I'm really interested in what some of you have to say because I want to make sure it grabs the attention of the theaters so hopefully they'll hire me.

I also have yet to hear any suggestions on how much of a wage I should ask for at these theaters. If any of you need any information from me in order to answer this question, just let me know and I'll reply back with the answers. I wasn't sure if $10/hour would be appropriate considering my experience/education or if it's too low/high. I want to get a good idea about this before I start applying to these theaters, so any information would be very helpful. Thanks.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction