Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How much?

How much? 08 Dec 2005 15:21 #25012

• MrManager
  • Fresh Boarder
We are looking at a five screen theater in a lease agreement. It seems to me they want far too much.

What is the average going price for 19,500 sqft?

A few things to consider; 1) the theater has been dark for five years and 2) it would have to be a second run house.

ALso, no equipment/ Screens and seats is about it and even one of the screens is damaged beyond use.

Thanks,
Mark
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How much? 08 Dec 2005 22:08 #25013

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
it very much depends on the market and what you can gross where you are...... ????
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: How much? 10 Dec 2005 10:17 #25014

• MrManager
  • Fresh Boarder
Well it is in a suburb of a large metropolitan market. The 2004 census said the 5-mile population is 109,343 with an average income of $38,407.

I guess what I was asking, if people are willing to tell me
is what others are paying per square for their leases. Also, how long a term?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: How much? 10 Dec 2005 11:49 #25015

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Being that it's a previously closed theatre ... make sure you have an exit clause (maybe w/ 90 day notice). I would not play a flat fee for rent there. Instead, attempt to negotiate a percentage rent deal (10% of total revenues) or a management deal (LL pays you to run the theatre for them 3-5% of Revenues).

Re: How much? 10 Dec 2005 11:55 #25016

• MrManager
  • Fresh Boarder
10% of total was precisely what I was thinking of goin in until I heard what they were asking.

May still go in with that as our first offer

Re: How much? 12 Dec 2005 11:35 #25017

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
A 90-day exit clause is one of the best conditions you can get written into your lease... especially if you're in an area where others control the business mix around you.

We were paying $8/ft/yr NNN for our place with staggered increases during the first two years, 5-yr initial and 5-yr renewal option. In our area, and with the business mix where we were, it was too much.
We had seats, screens and some equipment, though none of it would have lasted the lease.

Re: How much? 16 Dec 2005 23:03 #25018

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
This is a quote from "Ben Marcus" of Marcus Theatres about leases.

Own your own real estate. At the end of a lease, all you have is a pile of receipts and a landlord itching to raise your rent.At the end of a mortage, you have a real asset.

Re: How much? 27 Dec 2005 02:58 #25019

In going into this thing, think digital cinema technology first and foremost. This will enable you to operate beyond the second run movie status limitation. Next, plan it so all risk will be on the suppliers -- in this case, the Hollywood movie industry plus the manufacturers of digital cinema technology and other theatrical equipment. And yes, by all means aim to purchase the property rather than lease it. Have it so the suppliers pay the mortgage payments, but with it being you as the designated buyer.

For it sounds as if this theater is located where it holds great potential. But the suppliers must see this as well. For if they don't, where will that leave you?

Re: How much? 27 Dec 2005 03:13 #25020

Another thing that just crossed my mind, too, aim to convert it from a 5-screen multiplex to being a large single-screen theater only. Your patrons will love you for it! And aim to make it as classy as possible. Such as, have a large lobby area and the box office located there rather than out at the theater's entrance. I.e., never have it so those awaiting to buy tickets must stand in line outside. Don't charge high concession prices. Do not run commercials during the exhibitions. Finally, do not offer patrons anything that is a replication of what they can buy at other businesses nearby. For instance, keep the concession fare limited to just popcorn, soda (or juice) and basic candy. And try to synchronize exhibitions with nearby restaurants, who may wish to even partner with you if you agree to this.

Re: How much? 06 Jan 2006 03:36 #25021

• ralfsmith
  • Fresh Boarder
Can you provide me more information on this matter?

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: How much? 06 Jan 2006 09:38 #25022

• MrManager
  • Fresh Boarder
What kind of information would you like?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction