Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Seasonality of ART

Seasonality of ART 31 May 2005 23:37 #24879

• obyobyo
  • Fresh Boarder
Curious guys...I understand the commercial first-run calendar very well and the seasonality of it. Regarding Art...is there a seasonality to it? I assume you would receive a more consistent attendance rather then the rollercoaster ride??? And by the way...could the release window between first and second get any smaller?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Seasonality of ART 01 Jun 2005 08:34 #24880

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, there is a seasonality. Spring and fall seasons can be just as bad as at the commercial houses depending on weather and events going on. In my art markets, April and May just finished were horrible. Come Memorial Day weekend, it was as if someone flipped a switch and they started coming back.

Of course, a lot depends on the product as well. There were no really big art hits this spring either, which did not help at all.

The "Rollercoaster Effect" affects us all.

The only plus in the theatrical / video window debate in art houses is that most video stores carry few copies of the art films, which means that video doesn't have quite the impact as a zillion copies of the latest hit. I have played films after video and still done ok with them.

And, of course, you always have the option of doing special grass-roots events, promotions, benefits, etc., et al, which will help boost the bottom line during slack times. Midnight shows, classics, festivals...anything helps.

At least with the artsters, you aren't just limited to what's being released on Friday.

Re: Seasonality of ART 01 Jun 2005 16:27 #24881

• obyobyo
  • Fresh Boarder
Interesting...sounds like it it very similar to commercial. this year was dead until Star Wars. granted, that is pretty typical for First-Run. In a way, kind of glad to hear it is the same type of animal.

Re: Seasonality of ART 11 Jun 2005 20:25 #24882

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
The art world can also vary a great deal from year to year in each season. I have a huge spike in April 2003 due to A MIGHTY WIND and BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM being released that month that year which makes 2004 and 2005 look terrible. But when you go back and compare 2004 and 2005 to 2000 - 2002, you find that 04 and 05 were better than 00 and 01, but not as good as 02.

Part of the fluctuation of the art biz in the beginning is building a clientele. As business matures, your cycle is at the mercy of the film product. This year June and July are going to look dreadful compared to last year due to the huge spike caused by F9/11.

In the art world, even one picture which crosses over or breaks through (take your pick) can make a huge difference. Not getting Eternal Sunshine in March 2004 caused us to be in a situtation where we played catch up all of 2004 to our 2003 numbers even with Passion (which wasn't a big deal for us), F9/11 and Sideways.

As of the end of May this year, we have had 93,126 admissions. For comparison, here is were we were on May 31st of previous years:
2004: 96,936
2003: 114,470 (the Bend It & Mighty Wind year)
2002: 106,346 (thank you My Big Fat Greek...)
2001: 76,413
2000: 54,086

I should point out that contrary to most of the industry, I track admissions for comparison as opposed to dollars as it takes the skewing caused by increases in ticket prices out of the equation.

The thing about the art business is that you make your money week by week based on your booking decisions. Unfortuantely, given the demands of the distribs, you don't have total control of the situation. For me, that was the most difficult thing to learn about being an exhibitor.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction