Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Senior discounts must die!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Senior discounts must die!

Senior discounts must die! 05 Sep 2001 18:33 #24755

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
They're all rich! Can we just all stop giving this discount? We'll call it Pull The Plug day! I guess in 12 years I'll want it but why? Why? Why? Why not special discounts for the poor instead?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 05 Sep 2001 23:36 #24756

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Seniors make up about 60 to 70% of my total business. Now you would think that since my adult evening ticket price is only $3.00, that it in itself would be the reason I get so many of them. No it isn't, because they get a senior discount on top of that... they pay only $1.50. If I charged them the full $3.00 I would lose half of them at least. They would just stop going to the movies as there is nowhere else as cheap. It does irritate me that I have to discount my price that much to get them, but I do. On top of that they don't spend anything on concessions. I have a Wednesday matinee that is usually 95% seniors, and that show generally has a 35 cent concession per capita. As if that is not enough... many of them sneak in little individual wrapped candies and leave those tiny wrappers all over the floor. I start my senior discount at age 62, but many complain that it should be at 55, or even at 50. Excuse me, but I don't consider myself a senior citizen, and I'm beyond that age. I know that there are a lot that lie about there age, but I'm not going to argue with people that age. If they haven't learned to be honest by that point in life, I'm not going to change them.

Many of them have a lot more money then I do. Mike, I agree with you... I wish there was some way that we could just give the discount to the poor. Why should there be a discount based on age? Are we suggesting that they no longer can understand the movies and therefore should pay less.

I may not like doing it, but I must to survive as they are what keeps me open.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 05 Sep 2001 23:57 #24757

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I like the seniors coming in. They are at least curtious and I don't find that they leave a mess. My senior age is 65 now. When I get closer to 62 or so I will probably raise that age! MY BEEF IS WITH KIDS. Why should they get a discount? With their rudeness and slovenly ways, they should have to pay double.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 06 Sep 2001 08:45 #24758

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
When I was still knee-deep in exhibition, I did "all seats one price." It was an art/repertory house, so there weren't many kids. If anyone asked about the pricin policy, my response was "Seniors already get a discount since our regular price is lower than the plexes senior price, and kids should pay the same because they take up a seat and see the same film as anyone else." Not only did it work, it made the math at the end of the night a lot easier!

Re: Senior discounts must die! 06 Sep 2001 08:53 #24759

• Mike
  • Administrator
I had one gal call me and tell me that to keep an eye on her dad as he was coming to the movies often and since he did not like to miss any part of the show he was peeing in a jar under his coat. At least he took it home!

In most parts of the world there is a student rate and it includes college kids... just show your student ID and you're in.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Senior discounts must die! 06 Sep 2001 10:49 #24760

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
That's a pretty hard nut to crack. After reading this post I went right out and asked 10 people I knew that were over 60 if they would go to the movies if the senior discount was taken away and out of the 10 only 3 said they would, 4 said they wouldn't go at all, and 3 said they wouldn't go as often. Knowing how the theater intake works, I would go no matter what the price. Of course I'm not a senior yet. When I get there if I get that crust alot of them have, I may change my mind.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 12:29 #24761

I think that very small children, under five or six should get in at a discount. They are with an adult and are supervised. At that age they can't do any damage. Other than that, everyone pays the same price. I respect seniors but they take advantage of the fact that get a discount. Like if they have a discount don't you think they could buy their snacks from the concession stand instead of bringing it in. That's just one example.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 12:50 #24762

• Mike
  • Administrator
This one is back? Kids is fair and even students makes some sense but I think senior pricing is left over from pre Social Security days when old folks were poorer than today. The reason restaurants do senior discounts is that they eat earlier , 5 ish. They are trying to get them in during off hours. That's not our problem is it?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 12:55 #24763

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I like Roxy am a $3.00 house but I do not offer a senior citizen discount.

I am constantly amazed that the little old ladies who ask for the discount (or complain that I don't have one) usually have one or more diamond rings on their hands big enough to poke my eye out and are often waiting in the lobby while their husband parks the Cadillac!

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 12:57 #24764

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Spider says: I think that very small children, under five or six should get in at a discount. They are with an adult and are supervised. At that age they can't do any damage.

Oh, but damage can be measured in many ways. Those crying, climbing over seat soda spilling kids can damage your other paying customers enjoyment of the film.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 13:17 #24765

• Big Guy
  • Expert Boarder
"I like the seniors coming in. They are at least curtious and I don't find that they leave a mess. My senior age is 65 now. When I get closer to 62 or so I will probably raise that age! MY BEEF IS WITH KIDS. Why should they get a discount? With their rudeness and slovenly ways, they should have to pay double."

The mess issue is primarily because kids buy stuff at concessions, seniors don't! And, in my experience, seniors complain about EVERYTHING, from prices to a piece of paper on the restroom floor. The kids don't normally cause us a lot of problems at our theater with their behavior, that seems to be the 25 to 35 age range who always seem to be fighting with each other and causing problems with other patrons. We have to deal with all kinds, though. I personally like the idea of a ticket costing X dollars regardless of time, age, etc. Same price for everyone, all the time, no questions.

On a side note, we raised ticket prices a week ago, and haven't heard one single complaint about it, even though our competitor kept his the same! Miracles can happen!!

Re: Senior discounts must die! 07 Nov 2003 20:27 #24766

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
How much did you raise your prices and how do they compare with your competitors?

Re: Senior discounts must die! 08 Nov 2003 14:44 #24767

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
If I EVER get my project off the ground I'm going for "all seats same price". In our rural area that will probably be between $3 and $4. While this 71 year old senior is far from rich most of my fellow seniors around here have larger incomes than I did when I was working.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Senior discounts must die! 01 Jan 2005 11:01 #24768

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I've finally done it. I discontinued both the senior and child price as of two weeks ago. Since then I have played Shark Tale and The Incredibles and hardly a word from parents about paying the same price for the kids. However, to be fair, my matinee price had been all seats $2.00 and that didn't change, only the evening price dropped the $2.00 kid and senior price, which is now All Seats $3.00.

For 25 years, up until 1996, I was All Seats $1.00 at all Times, so actually I'm returning to what had been an established policy here at this theatre for many many years. Today $3.00 is the same as $1.00 was back in the 70s when figuring in inflation. However, people do forget rather quickly.

The real test will come next week when I play Shall We Dance which should be 60 to 70% seniors. I'll report back on that reaction, if any, after that picture finishes. But... so far so well.

Re: Senior discounts must die! 01 Jan 2005 18:10 #24769

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Something tells me the older folks won't be quite as quiet about the new policy.
Good luck.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction