Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sales Tax

Sales Tax 18 Nov 2004 10:50 #24661

• Rbowden
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Everyone.....Just finishing my business plan and I have a question....Are ticket sales taxable or just concession items? Thanks for your help
Robin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sales Tax 18 Nov 2004 11:36 #24662

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
It depends on what state you are in. You can run a Back Office search for Admission Tax and see some responses from different areas.

Re: Sales Tax 22 Nov 2004 11:41 #24663

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Burney's right on this...

Our state (WA) does not classify admissions as a retail sales item. However, we have a state-wide "business and occupations" tax, which, while much lower than retail, is applied to admissions (and pretty much everything else that comes in the door).

Many communities can place their own admissions tax on ticket sales. While your town may not presently be doing this, it would be wise for you to check with your state to see how much they COULD tax you... should some politician eventually view your business as a funding source. As far as I've seen, admission taxes can be as high as 5%... maybe a federal limit? I once heard that the tax was a way for cities to recover income, lost because of lower business activities during WWII. Of course, the tax was not eliminated after the war ended

In any case, make sure your business is prepared to deal with either or both of these taxes, should you be eventually forced to pay them.

Re: Sales Tax 22 Nov 2004 14:00 #24664

• D. Bird
  • Expert Boarder
Ah yes Jack! Here in Canada, INCOME TAX was a "temporary measure" to finance WW 1!!! We are stuck with one of the higher burdens in the "free" world to this day.....

Re: Sales Tax 23 Nov 2004 03:40 #24665

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
Here in GA, the sales tax is the same as retail ... 7% in our areas.

Re: Sales Tax 23 Nov 2004 10:43 #24666

• Rbowden
  • Fresh Boarder
Well, I got thru to the Indiana Dept of Revenue and they claimed it wasn't taxable but they would call me if they found out different....I think I will put the taxes in my plan as a worse case senerio and if it isn't taxable I am that much ahead of the game...
Thanks everyone.....

Re: Sales Tax 23 Nov 2004 13:16 #24667

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Since your sales tax question concerns Indiana, I can confirm that movie theater tickets are NOT subject to state sales tax... Theater Owners of Indiana has fought tooth and nail in the past to keep tickets from being subjected to the tax, and it seems likely that in the forseeable future this situation won't change...

Re: Sales Tax 23 Nov 2004 19:37 #24668

• Rbowden
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks outaframe.....I was on hold with the IRS for 30 minutes and they didn't sound very positive about the answer they gave me....That helped a bunch....
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction