Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Show me your numbers?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Show me your numbers?

Show me your numbers? 17 Oct 2004 22:08 #24631

• izod
  • Junior Boarder
In working on this business plan, I call to everyone for help. Would anyone with a 1-4 screen cinema mind sharing a few things with me?:
-Monthly weekend gross
-Monthly weekday gross
-Monthly average percentage attendance per screen per month on weekends
-Monthly average percentage attendance per screen per month on weekdays
-Monthly average cost per patron
-Monthly average concession sale per patron on weekends
-Monthly average concession sale per patron on weekdays
-Monthly average electricity and gas used

Thanks all! Anything you'd be willing to provide would be great.

-Sam
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Show me your numbers? 20 Oct 2004 12:56 #24632

• Dominic
  • Junior Boarder
I found in the FAQ's a decent explanation of projecting potential sales figures.

Take your low-guess percentage of how many people in the population of your city would actually go to the movies.
Example: 70,000 X 90% = 63,000
The national per cap for movie consumption is 2/yr. so double that figure. 126,000.
Divide that number by the amount of screens in your area. I.E. 6 comes to 21,000 per screen per year.
Of that only 30% buy concessions. So that's 6,300. Multiply that by your per capita for concessions (average is between 2.00 and 3.00 bucks. The cinema I worked at is usually around 2.50).
Hope that helps. G'luck. I'm in the same boat.

Re: Show me your numbers? 20 Oct 2004 16:59 #24633

• izod
  • Junior Boarder
Well that sucks. Following that equation:
There are 69,000 people within 3 miles of my proposed site. The nearest theaters are about 6 miles away, so I will assume that within the 3 miles, they might come to me.
I estimate maybe 80% of them go to the movies (the average HH income is $114k), so that gives us 55,200 people.
Times two is 110,400.
I'll skip the dividing by screen, since they'll be my screens.
30% of them will buy concessions, so thats 33,120, at three dollars a pop is $99,360.

I mean, even assuming you'll make $2.50 a ticket, thats $220,800 in ticket sales. That's a total of $320,160.

I mean it's not that bad, but how does one go about paying off investment if building the cinema takes $950k?

Re: Show me your numbers? 21 Oct 2004 08:48 #24634

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Precisely.

Makes you wonder why people think we make money in the movie business. You have to love this business to be in it because you are not likely to get rich.

Re: Show me your numbers? 21 Oct 2004 21:58 #24635

• izod
  • Junior Boarder
I don't want to make money, I don't want to be rich, I want to do what I love. I want to bring a better cinema experience to the people in my area, one that can't be had at a chain. A clear picture, good sound, comfortable seating, reasonable concessions. I just want to be able to convince an investor to lend me money to build the cinema. What size radius should I take into account? 1 mile? 3 mile? 5 mile?

Re: Show me your numbers? 22 Oct 2004 06:13 #24636

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Loving the business is a noble thing, and will gain you a lot of respect around here, 'cause we all do... But an investor is generally interested in only two things: Profits and Safety... You'll have to be able to convince him it'll make money AND that he can't lose, then he'll get interested...
Your nearest competitor is 6 miles away: I'd consider the 3 miles from your spot to be "your" territory, and the 3 miles from his spot, "his" territory... Of course, some customers will cross over from him, and vice-versa, but 3 miles from each makes sense, at least to me...

Re: Show me your numbers? 22 Oct 2004 10:59 #24637

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
80 % of a population do not go to the movies. Even in jail for a free movie 80% don't go.

People travel much further than 3 miles to go to a theatre

I'd rework that spreadsheet.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Show me your numbers? 22 Oct 2004 15:22 #24638

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I agree, Mike.

I am the only theater in my county so I consider the entire county "mine". Now, if you get too close to the borders you get some drift to the next county over but, by and large, the fifteen mile radius around my theater is mine and that makes a big difference. My town is 1500 people but there are over ten thousand in a ten mile radius. I'm sure each situation has a different set of rules. I'm not sure if one could really make a formula out of it with any degree of accuracy. It'd just be an educated guess, I would think.

"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction