Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: BACK TO THE FUTURE?

BACK TO THE FUTURE? 17 Oct 2004 00:05 #24623

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I'm not talking about the movie Back To The Future here, but rather aquiring a historical perspective of the industry while preparing to plan for the future.

There is a constant stream of people that visit here that want to get into the theatre business. Many asking for help with Business Plans. Others with just general questions about booking or operations.

I say to all of you that are giving serious thought to doing such... WELCOME. But, don't think for a minute that it is easy, or inexpensive, or a sure way to make a lot of money. Yes, it can be fun, and rewarding, but very frustrating as well... and lots of hard work and very long hours. Kiss nights, weekends and holidays goodbye.

I am a firm believer that regardless of what business you go into, it's just as important to know "from whence it came", the history of the business, as it is to plan for the future. You need to know how we got to where we are today, to better understand where and why we are going in the direction that we are for the future. There have been many publications printed that cover the history of motion picture exhibition, and I have almost all of them. However, the best one that I have ever read, just came out this month. I notice that it's available right here at the bigscreenbiz bookstore as well. I wish I would have known that when I ordered my copy as it's about $10.00 cheaper here then what I paid for it. The book is "CINEMA TREASURES". It tells our history, the current status, and gives a rather interesting look at the future as well. As an almost 40 year veteran of this business, a theatre historian, and a theatre preservationist I consider this book MUST READING for anyone considering entering this business.

It will not tell you how to run a theatre, or give you a business plan. But it will give you the most indepth study as to how we got here, where we presently are, and possibly what direction the business may take over the next several decades.

If you have been in the business for a while and have never spent any time delving into the history of the industry... now's the time to do it. It's fascinating reading.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: BACK TO THE FUTURE? 20 Oct 2004 11:42 #24624

• Roger
  • Senior Boarder
"Cinema Treasures" is a great book from the creators of the Cinema Treasures website ( http://www.cinematreasures.org/ ). Also, I'm quoted in the book and thanked on the acknowledgements page.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction