Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office How many employees and job titles do you have?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How many employees and job titles do you have?

How many employees and job titles do you have? 13 May 2004 10:58 #24392

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm doing a little bit of research to see how many employees and job titles I should hire if we are ever able to build a new 5-screen theatre. If anyone could post how many employees they have and the specific job titles those people hold (concession, managers, projectionists, cleaners, etc), I would appreciate it. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 13 May 2004 12:36 #24393

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I run a 5-plex.

2-Owners who run the theatre
3-managers who manage in place of the owners
18-Staff

The managers are hourly employees who work full-time and have health insurance.

The staff are part-time hourly employees and do not get health insurance. They work 2-5, 5-hour shifts per week. We create no further subdivisions of the staff, they are just staff.

We are open 8-days a week, 400-days a year. We run movies from 10:30 AM till 9:45 PM.

No one, including the owners, is exempt from serving the customers, picking up an auditorium, or cleaning the bathroom.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 13 May 2004 12:47 #24394

• R.Celusta
  • Fresh Boarder
Here is the breakdown of my 20 & IMAX. Dont know how much the breakdown below will help with a 5 screen.

1 General Manager
2 Senior Managers
4 Salaried Managers
14 Hourly Managers
4 Imax Projectionists
185 Hourly Employees

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 13 May 2004 13:23 #24395

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Large and R.Celusta.

Large - Do the managers usually get enough hours if they work when the owners are not there? Currently at our 4-screen, we have a manager that runs it for us on the weekends. If we are able to do a new 5-screen, we would like to have at least 2 managers who can take turns on the weekends. But ofcourse my partner and I may work a little bit on the weekends as well. It would all depend on how long we decide to run the shows.

"We are open 8-days a week, 400-days a year. We run movies from 10:30 AM till 9:45 PM."

I don't know if I'm missing something, but where did you get the 8-days a week and 400-days a year figure? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I'm not sure where you are getting those figures. Also, is 9:45PM when your last movie would start?

Sorry for all the questions but I think it will help us to make some important decisions. Thanks.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 13 May 2004 23:54 #24396

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
557 seat single screen in a town of 10,000
1 owner/manager/projectionist (me)
1 assn't manager/projectionist (future owner, I hope)
1 doorman (ticket taker)
3 cashiers (box office)
4 concession sales people
1 janitor
1 house electrician/stage manager
2 follow spot operators
1 organist
All positions are part time except owner/manager.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited May 24, 2004).]

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 14 May 2004 06:12 #24397

• Reel-Life
  • Junior Boarder
I think he was joking about the 8 days a week, 400 days a year. Thats not nearly as much as we work!! Seriously at the 5 screen I work at besides the owner we have:

1 GM
2 assistants
5 ushers
8 concessionists
2 projectionists-I am one of the assistants
and one of the projectionists. I also
help with the cleaning of theaters.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 14 May 2004 10:32 #24398

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
At our 4 screen we have:
2 owners
2 asst managers (part-time)
9 other part timers
No one has benefits - even the owners.
Cleaning is done either by staff or by owners depending on the day of the week. We normally run 2 shows on weekdays, 3-4 on Friday, 4-5 on Saturday and 3-4 on Sunday depending up on lengths.
Projection is done by one of the owners although we have an asst manager in training and I also can thread them up.
All our staff is in high school although we have several seniors and 1 coming back from college for the summer.
We also work 8 days per week and 400 days per year personally. If there is a projector running we are tied to the building. Most people don't understand the commitment involved and will give us hell if we open the doors a few minutes late on a weekday because we have been handling other chores like restocking the theater or finalizing booking on the phone. Would like to find a good full time manager to give us some time off but first have to find a good one and need to get on top of capital costs. Our salaries and the non existant manager's salary went to repairing and replacing equipment last year. This place was a mega disaster. Better but not perfect now. At least the projectors start up consistently now and we have masking on all our screens.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 14 May 2004 11:59 #24399

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
8-days a week, 400-days per year reflects that the theatre is open every day of the year and even if we get a day off, the theatre is open. Yes, we try not to start a film later than 9:45 PM.

One should have enough managers so that one can leave town occasionally. I'm going to India for a month in June. I have to trust that the theatre will not self-destruct while I'm gone. My business partner may be gone the month of September, but he will be in cell phone range.

My managers work full time. It's worth it to keep them fully employed. If they fall short on hours, I'm happy to have them come in and perform maintenance.

Also we pay Vacation for the entire hourly staff. It’s a cheap benefit that only costs the theatre about 2% per year.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 14 May 2004 13:27 #24400

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
I should have realized that you were joking when you said 8 days a week. Boy was I silly.

I like the idea of providing benefits. However, I don't think we could afford to do that. Oh well.

"No one, including the owners, is exempt from serving the customers, picking up an auditorium, or cleaning the bathroom."

I agree with this philosophy. I don't think much about cleaning the auditoriums or the bathrooms. I think that if the owners and managers get the hands dirty on a regular basis, it will help to motivate the employees.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 21 May 2004 10:01 #24401

We have the following titles:
Owner/operator
Manager/one
Concession Staff/four
Ticket Booth Operators/three
Maintenance Man/one
Clean Up Crew/ five
Total Employees/14

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 21 May 2004 10:27 #24402

• Reel-Life
  • Junior Boarder
Silverspider--who runs the projecors??

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 24 May 2004 08:27 #24403

My manager is also the projectionist. Sorry about that.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 24 May 2004 09:44 #24404

• Reel-Life
  • Junior Boarder
Oh ok, just wondering.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 24 May 2004 16:31 #24405

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
I guess many of us just assume that manager and projectionist are the same position in most theatres today. That is why I didn't list any projectionist position in my posting above. I have gone back and edited it so that it will be correct, should anyone doing research in the future reads that posting.

Re: How many employees and job titles do you have? 25 May 2004 16:32 #24406

I work at a five-plex and we have a general manager, 2 assistant managers, 5 ushers, 6 concession workers, and 2 box office workers. The ushers can thread, build, and tear down movies, as well as perform basic maintenance, and the managers handle most everything else. We have 4 concession registers and 2 box office registers. One or both of the box office registers if often ran by an usher or concession worker who knows how to run it or a manager when it gets busy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction