Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stacking/Splitting

Stacking/Splitting 02 Apr 2004 11:23 #24361

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Tell me about stacking or splitting. I'm not sure if it would work in my situation or not but I am intrigued by the idea. What restrictions do you often get for them? Do the studios get into your shorts about it and try and influence what to split and when? Can you stack or split anything or just older product?
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Stacking/Splitting 02 Apr 2004 11:50 #24362

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
I'm also interested in this topic. Is it easier to stack/split arthouse films (foreign, indie, documentary)?

Re: Stacking/Splitting 02 Apr 2004 15:19 #24363

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
No.

Re: Stacking/Splitting 02 Apr 2004 16:03 #24364

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Large! I figured as much, just wanted to make sure.

Re: Stacking/Splitting 06 Apr 2004 01:24 #24365

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
I think a better response to your question than large's simple no is "it depends."

It depends on the title, how many prints the distributor has, how well its doing, what the demand is, etc. Some things some distribs will be glad to let you play on a split. If you are talking about stuff from Searchlight, Miramax, Lions Gate, etc. you are probably going to have to play it clean at least a week before you can go to shows. It really depends on what the national policy is for that distrib on that picture. Sometimes they throw in the towel early on a picture that isn't working. Other times they dig their heels in. The smaller companies (ie not attached to a major and not a mini-major) can be more flexible, especially if you are playing later in the run. But if you want to be out in front, expect to play it clean.

In answer to leeler's question, you stack or split product when the business it is or will generate isn't sufficient to justify a full schedule. Splitting product results in less showtimes which means people have less opportunity to see the film. With most distributors and especially the majors and their subdivisions, you have to play to whatever the national policy is, especially if you are in a competitive market. If you aren't in a competitive market, the rules might be a bit different. But if policy is you can't do shows then you can't split the film. It's that simple and unfortunately, most of the time, the distribs call the shots.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction