Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outside Stress

Outside Stress 26 Mar 2004 08:45 #24336

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
A very dlicate subject. How do you deal with employee stress that is brought on by influences outside of work. It's easy to just tell them that they have to make the separation and leave the problems outside the workplace but that isn't always an easy thing to do. So, in those cases what course of action do you take?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Outside Stress 26 Mar 2004 14:48 #24337

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
You have a couple of choices as I see it. You can fire them if their stress interferes with their work performance and their loss would not be of any consequence to the business or, if it's a valued employee, you can counter what's causing the stress. By that I mean if it's a relationship caused stress behave toward the employee in a positive manner opposite of what's causing the stress in the relationship. If it's a self-esteem problem let the employee know how valuable they are to the business. Spend some one-on-one time with the employee to determine if there's anything you can do to ease the stress and carry it out if it is something you can comfortably do without overstepping your bounds as an employer.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Outside Stress 02 Apr 2004 07:34 #24338

In most cases it's less exspensive to "fix" an employee rather than hire a replacement.
A well timed out smile or hand on the shoulder can work wonders in showing empathy, care and respect. If you choose to counsel the employee, relate your personal simular situations with out one-upping or getting to personal,(you are the boss and need to keep the mystic of an authority figure),.
However, if you choose to counsel one on one with an employee of the opposite sex I urge you to do it in public. Not the lobby of your theater but rather the diner down the street. An employee with personal problems can easily misdirect their anger if the situation gets worse. also if you give advice, keep it generic so the employee still has to make their own decision.
Accomplished correctly, helping an employee through difficult times can result in a very loyal worker.

good luck,

Thanks,
Jay
Thanks,
Jay
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction