Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: pos systems

pos systems 02 Feb 2004 01:46 #24307

i want to ask something that might sound stupid and if so im sorry. i have seen many pos systems since i have gone to lots of different theaters and im curious what is the difference between them? what OS do they operate over or on? is one better then another? what should i look for in a POS system for consession and for ticketing? i need to know whats good and doesnt use windows as an OS because i refuse to use windows in my movie theater. i will not support bill gates and his con artists called microsoft. sorry not trying to be harsh but every since he stole and pirayetd the MAC OS i have no use for him and his windows as he calls it. plus i know the theater i use to work in used a pos for tickets that ran over windows and it was always crashing and fouling up. but anyway sorry if i offened anyone.
jason
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: pos systems 02 Feb 2004 16:36 #24308

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Every POS system I have ever seen runs on Windows or DOS. If you are running a single screen, you don't need a computer at all. If you want a POS system to run on another platform, write it yourself.

That said, we like RTS.

Re: pos systems 02 Feb 2004 19:37 #24309

is there a web site i can look at for pos systems? is there anywhere i can go? i dont know how to write a pos system but there has to be a pos system that runs over a mac somewhere. maybe i should write apple and ask them.
thanks jason
any ideas or suggestions on my delima

Re: pos systems 02 Feb 2004 20:16 #24310

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There are so many references.

Just find an issue of Box Office and there will be ads in the back for a half dozen or so.

That said, and this has been said before, attend ShoWest and all will be reveled to you.
www.showest.com

Re: pos systems 09 Feb 2004 09:20 #24311

• rchabot
  • Fresh Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigbadvoodoodaddy:
<B>but there has to be a pos system that runs over a mac somewhere.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason,
There has been no POS system for theatres that uses the Mac OS at Showest since the mid 90s. There was a system around 96 that is no longer available. I think it was called Intouch.

You could use a DOS POS under Novell DOS if Microsoft is your sticking point. I thought Novell released their latest DOS as freeware 4 or 5 years ago. Our DOS POS did run under Novell at the time, but has been discontinued.

[This message has been edited by rchabot (edited February 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by rchabot (edited February 09, 2004).]
Robert Chabot
Ready Theatre Systems
www.rts-solutions.com

Re: pos systems 11 Feb 2004 02:24 #24312

Well i see people going to a IBm/linux POS system in some web searches i found. do you know of these POS that run over linux? Do you know why there is no mac OS POS? is it that mac is just not in demand or what? What do you recomend for a POS for ease of use and overall reliability? i know at AMC we use radiant but they are ok when they work but thats when they work. Most of the time the consessions do fine but the box office POS and the self serve kiosk are always breaking down. this is going to be for a small theater about 6 screens actully. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Re: pos systems 11 Feb 2004 13:10 #24313

• rchabot
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm not aware of any ticketing software for theatres on Linux. One of the top 10 chains did write their own concession system on Linux/Unix. I’m not aware if this was done for ticketing.

There is no MAC POS software for theatres because of economic and other reasons.

1. Development tools. Mac development tools have historically been less productive.

2. Market size. Most businesses use Windows. It does not make economic sense to create a software application for MAC when most of the potential customers will not even consider using Macs as their infrastructure is most likely windows based.

3. Source Code Investment. As a software developer, I need assurances that I will not have to completely rewrite my application due to a market change. I feel confident that MS Windows will be available for many years. I can't afford to rewrite all 250,000 lines of source code if major changes are made to the underlying OS. Microsoft has done an outstanding job of retaining backwards compatibility when new versions of windows are released. Although this may change in the future as the .NET framework and supporting libraries are ported to MAC.

My suggestions.
Keep in mind I'm very biased

If you have access to a Windows machine download our demo from http://rts-solutions.com

Robert Chabot
General Partner / Developer
Ready Theatre Systems
Robert Chabot
Ready Theatre Systems
www.rts-solutions.com

Re: pos systems 11 Feb 2004 20:04 #24314

here is the article i found showing regal using linux/ibm pos terminals.

Regal Entertainment Group Adopts IBM and Linux for Point-of-Sale Application

New Technology at Regal’s High-Volume Concession Stands is One of the First and Largest Linux Rollouts in a POS Environment

Issue Date
25 Sep 2002

Regal Entertainment Group, operator of the nation’s largest chain of movie theaters, has begun using new IBM point-of-sale systems and open-source Linux technology to serve millions of customers at its high-volume Regal Cinemas concession stands in one of the first and largest rollouts of Linux in the retail point-of-sale environment, IBM announced today.

Regal is also testing a new, in-theater, Linux-based kiosk that will enable movie patrons to purchase tickets or retrieve tickets purchased from an online service.

“After carefully examining a variety of options for our concession stand and kiosk needs, we selected IBM as our strategic technology partner. IBM’s reputation for reliability and customer service to the Retail sector, coupled with the excellence of their SurePOS technology design, made our choice easy,” said J.E. Henry, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer, Regal Entertainment Group. “With the nationwide scale of our business and our need to handle millions of concession and kiosk transactions annually, we needed a strong, reliable partner like IBM to support our growth”.

Regal Cinemas is using rugged IBM SurePOS 500 point-of-sale systems at its concession stands, running Linux from Red Hat and linked with Regal’s IBM eServer iSeries, a mainframe-class midrange server, at Regal’s headquarters in Knoxville, Tennessee. An average of 13 SurePOS 500s will be used at each theater complex.

“We chose Linux because it is an open, affordable operating system, giving us lower cost and relative ease of programming with the Java2 projects we already had in place,” said Todd King, Vice President of Technical Information Services, Regal Entertainment Group. “We need a rugged, reliable technology solution for the time-sensitive, high-volume traffic in our concession stands, as well as a platform on which to build future applications, such as our ticket kiosk.”

“The concession stand is a significant profit center for a theater and is one of the most important and demanding areas of theater operations due to the need to provide service to a large number of customers in a very short time. They cannot afford downtime or rebooting when customers are in line for concessions and the movie is about to start,” said Tom Peterson, General Manager, IBM Retail Store Solutions. “The fact that Regal is using Linux in such a critically important way demonstrates that Linux running on retail-hardened IBM point-of-sale systems can be an attractive alternative for retailers.”

The new networked IBM POS system, when linked with the in-store server and the IBM eServer iSeries at headquarters, greatly reduces the settlement time at each theater, and improves the accuracy of the sales and inventory data.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction