Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Enter stage left...

Enter stage left... 03 Jan 2004 13:37 #24259

• Dominic
  • Junior Boarder
Hello all.
I've been lurking for a while, finaly was able to get my account activated (stupid hotmail!) this week.
Here goes the grand newbie questioning

I'm preparing a business plan for a single screen cinema about 17 miles outside of Monterey, CA.
The theater was buily in the 30's and is approx. 8000 sqf. The auditorium was estimated at about 600+ seats, an actual seat count isn't known. The owner of it says the interior is in good condition, from what I've seen it is. Before being kicked by the city a church group was slated to install there and painted over all the walls and ripped out the first few rows of seats. All the seats are still there, but I'd plan to have them all stripped, cleaned, and rebuilt.

Now, I've been in movies for a short time (about 3 years), I've worked at a megaplex for a large exhibitor and I've worked at an indie twin. I do it for a love of showmanship. There's nothing better to me than Thursday and Friday night.

Anyhow, back to the real story, I've looked at some of the census information for the location and it looks good, I've spoken with the land owner, he's willing to lease at a nice rate and seems quite delighted at the idea. The movies will be all indie, foriegn, documentary, and revival. There's two Century cinemas there and they barely touch that sort of film. The closest competition is in about 17 miles out which occasionally plays these films, and finally the biggest one on the coast...The Del Mar and Nickelodian theaters in Santa Cruz.
The city I'm looking at is a half ag/half artsie town with a population of around 144,000. The question I have is how do I find out product availability? Such as what zone I'd be in?
What can I do to make sure when I get in there I can actually book movies that aren't 4 week old sub-runs?
The twin I used to work at missed out on a lot of films because the big boys down there (Wallace and Regal) could throw a lot more weight around with the distributors so we never saw a green print. Everything we played was sub run, yet the only other theater playing it in the area was 60 miles away!

And lastly, what about financing?
I expect to spend at least $70,000 getting the auditorium and booth presentable and intend on using future revenue to restore the murals where can I look for the funding?
I'd sell everything I own, but you know just as well as I do this isn't a business you'll get overly rich in.

Thanks for listening to me banter.
Ciao!

[This message has been edited by Dominic (edited January 03, 2004).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Enter stage left... 15 Jan 2004 17:32 #24260

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
Sell everything that you own or get a loan on it. Try the family plan in which you hit up all your relatives for a loan or a piece of the action. You are correct, you will not get rich. You might or might not pay off your loans. Have a back up plan for when it just isn't working. If you are still interested, take the plunge and have as much fun as you can. The art of showing movies is also the art of creating a magical moment for people.

Call a booker to find out what product you can get. There are several on this site who might help you if you called or emailed them.

Re: Enter stage left... 16 Jan 2004 17:40 #24261

• Dominic
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks.
The big problem is that none of my family really has money and i don't own much.
I think angel investors may be the way...
oh well.
I'll keep you guys posts.
Definitely serious about this one
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction