Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Do You Take Credit Cards?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do You Take Credit Cards?

Do You Take Credit Cards? 19 Dec 2003 13:51 #24235

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have been getting that question a lot during "Gift Card Season."

This was my answer to an email today:

We are a small business, this is the only theatre we have. I own it and I work it. Everybody wants a percentage of our ticket sales. The film companies take up to 70% of our ticket sales. Our landlord takes 10% of all of our sales. For a business this small, a credit card company would take 4% or 5% of our credit card sales. Since this is a controllable expense we have decided to forgo credit card sales until we can expand and our size will demand a lower percentage.

Movie theatres are traditionally a cash based business with most transactions under $20. I know that most theatre in San Francisco accept credit cards. They are large chains like Lowes, Regal, AMC and Landmark. In Sonoma County only one theatre accepts credit cards because they are a large chain, (Pacific's Rohnert Park 16) The rest of the 11 cinemas in Sonoma County do not accept credit cards because we are all relatively small companies. Until recently credit card transactions took too much time, our business is all about speedy transaction times.

I will always keep my eye open for a better credit card service that will fit our business. But as yet, I haven't found one that will work for the Rialto Cinemas Lakeside.

Thank you for your interest in our theatre.

Do you take credit cards?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Do You Take Credit Cards? 22 Dec 2003 12:19 #24236

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
Like you, I'm an independent.
And no, I do not take credit cards.
The reasons why are exactly like you said.

Actually, I get asked more if we take Debit cards than credit cards.

Side note to vent a little:
I also own a small diner two doors down from the theatre. We DO take credit card there, because this is a tourist town and you kinda have to.
What urks me it the amount that people charge: $4, $7, etc.
People have no clue how much this costs the retailer - a per tx fee + %.
I spent $80 last month in fees to the credit card processing company!

So the last thing I want to do is have people using a CC to pay $3.50 for admission and then another CC tx to pay $3.00 for their concessions!!

[This message has been edited by tratcliff (edited December 22, 2003).]

Re: Do You Take Credit Cards? 22 Dec 2003 17:52 #24237

• trackfood
  • Gold Boarder
I completely understand your position. But, a point you may wish to think about is this. People spend more with the plastic because they don't have to immediately part with their cash. So, you may actually increase some sales (maybe sell a higher gift certificate amount, or sell more concessions) if you take plastic. That may off-set your cost, or increase revenue

Re: Do You Take Credit Cards? 23 Dec 2003 01:46 #24238

• Adam Fraser
  • Expert Boarder
We have a one-screen and dont take credit cards either. I dont see how people can go out with no cash, it is amazing to see people who dont have the $6.00 we charge to get into a movie without pulling out plastic. We just send them to the bank down the road that has an ATM.

We dont even use cash registers as with properly trained people they just slow you down. But I know that the no cash register thing would not work in any theatre bigger than a couple of screens as theft could be a problem.

Re: Do You Take Credit Cards? 23 Dec 2003 11:59 #24239

• tratcliff
  • Gold Boarder
Adam brings up another good point that applies to my theatre as well.
We are still completely manual.
We still use an Automaticket for the box and do all the concessions without the use of a register ( still do the old "tax is included in the price" thing ).
Using a computerized system would slow us down tremendously, esp in the concession stand. My people can add and make change in their head a lot faster than they could input it into a screen.

Tony

Re: Do You Take Credit Cards? 23 Dec 2003 16:47 #24240

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't take credit cards either. There's a bank with an ATM down the street to accomodate those without cash. I, too, am not automated. I use an automaticket machine and a cash box at the box office. I do have a cheat sheet with numerous ticket variations posted on the cash box, though, for when a large mixed price group comes in. I use two programmable cash registers at the concession stand, however. I find them to be more efficient (faster and more accurate) than relying on my staff to make the additions mentally--I include myself in that category.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction