Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office pros and cons of self booking
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: pros and cons of self booking

pros and cons of self booking 26 Nov 2003 15:48 #24192

• filmguy
  • Junior Boarder
Pretty much what it says. What are the advantages and disadvantages of booking for yourself vs. have a booking agent. I've heard that film companies tend to "deal" with bookers more than indies because of other deals with different areas that they want. What is your experience? We are trying to expand from 2 screens to 5 screens. Is it easier to self-book for less screens? The closest competition is 40 miles away. Am I nuts or naive for wanting to book my own films?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: pros and cons of self booking 26 Nov 2003 16:24 #24193

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
With any luck you can find a booker who will work with you to "customize" your booking policy to what you want and that will take a real load off your back. You're going to be busy enough running the theatre (if you run it properly) and usually their fees are reasonable. Also, they usually have more "pull" with the distributors as they book for a number of theatres. CharlieBo, who posts on this site, is a booker and I have had a good report on him. He may see this and be able to answer any questions you may have.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman

[This message has been edited by revrobor (edited November 26, 2003).]
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: pros and cons of self booking 26 Nov 2003 17:46 #24194

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Bob
Thanks for the kind words and referral

Film guy
Please feel free to contact me-email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: pros and cons of self booking 26 Nov 2003 20:14 #24195

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
At least a couple of us on this site book for ourselves. I have never had a booker so I really don't know the benefits of having one. I do know that the actual booking doesn't take much time at all, so I wouldn't use that as a justification to hire a booker. Choosing the right movies is what can take the time. But if I select the wrong movie I only blame myself. If someone else dished me out a dog, I'd be pretty upset. Does a booker have more pull than an individual? That is possible, but I think I do pretty well for myself. Two screens vs. five screens shouldn't really matter. You're probably still only booking one to three movies a week and holding others over.

Maybe someday when I get rich I will have the luxury and patience to hire a booker. CharlieBo is probably thinking, I could have made her a little richer already. Maybe he or some other booker could have. Who really knows?

Re: pros and cons of self booking 26 Nov 2003 21:53 #24196

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Burney
I'm not thinking I could make you richer.What I (and most other bookers) can do is give you more time to run and promote your theatre,without having to spend many hours dealing with cashiers,film company salespeople,film delivery companies,etc.Also,since we talk to a lot of people daily,sometimes we get some "buzz" on films and can act early,and maybe occasionly find a sleeper,like GREEK WEDDING.I passed on AUSTIN POWERS 3 to play GREEK,and my client was real happy-22 big weeks!
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Re: pros and cons of self booking 27 Nov 2003 00:02 #24197

A booker can make you money. I was looking at buying a second theater and i compared terms on a film we were both playing (both in 4 week non-competitive zones. I had the movie (not a smash) for two weeks at 50%/40%, the other theater (who booked himself) had it for 4 weeks at 70/60/50/40. I dumped it after 2 weeks, he kept it 4.

Re: pros and cons of self booking 27 Nov 2003 00:20 #24198

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah,that happens.A booker can tell a salesperson in LA that he made such & such a deal in Wash DC,and maybe get a better deal.A guy that books himself usually has NO idea of what others pay.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction