Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office distrib info demands
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: distrib info demands

distrib info demands 05 Aug 2003 13:05 #24100

• garymey
  • Senior Boarder
Exhibitors recently were sent a huge document from Warners requesting detailed company information. I already provided them this when I opened my theater. I told them I neither have the time to fill it all out again nor will they be able to read my hand-writing since they refuse to send it as a word document.

They are telling me they will stop selling film to me if I don't fill it out soon. And frankly I don't have the time.

Each time you open a new theater most of the companies require this kind of information and it is a pain and time waster to do over and over. They all send out hard copy versions.

I asked NATO if they could suggest to the industry that there be a standard information sheet with the basics that can be filled out once and provided to all distributors. Preferably it would be available as a Word or other computer document. They could then have an attachment with any customized information, personal guarantees etc. meant for an individual company's eyes only. NATO thought it was a great idea but upon checking with legal have been told they can't touch it because of anti-trust issues.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions on this? What a waste of our time that could be spent promoting their movies. I know of one exhibitor who has each of his theaters in a different company (36 of them) and had to fill out 36 copies of the forms even though 90% of the info is the same. Many of us don't have assistants or secretaries to do this for us.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: distrib info demands 06 Aug 2003 08:12 #24101

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Quote: "NATO thought it was a great idea but upon checking with legal have been told they can't touch it because of anti-trust issues."

I doubt very much the truthfulness of the reply NATO gave you. Since they are not an exhibitor nor a distrib/producer, they are not goverened by the Sherman Anti-Trust Act (though that hasn't been really enforced since, what? '46 or '48 with the Paramount case. That was also supposed to stop 'block (blind) booking' but it is alive and well.) I think that NATO has become just another group of fat-bottomed flacks who churn out paper and that they are more in sympathy with the studios than the exhibitors. (as 'Deep Throat' said: "always trace the money!")

It would be interesting to see an "Official" reply letter reproduced here regarding this issue, from that ditzy dame who runs the place now. She could mail it to Mike (or any other knowing their letterhead) on their letterhead, and he could vouch therefore as to its authenticity.

[This message has been edited by jimor (edited August 06, 2003).]
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: distrib info demands 06 Aug 2003 14:16 #24102

• garymey
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, they are responsive to the studios but have also taken on issues on behalf of exhibition. As a large organization NATO can get unwieldly and the independents can get lost but I believe that at the heart they would like to be helpful to all. Bureaucracies get in the way of the best of intentions.

Maybe I'll write a letter re-asking my question and send it to both NATO and the California version.

But maybe nobody cares and are just doing what has to be done to get on with business.

Re: distrib info demands 06 Aug 2003 17:41 #24103

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Why couldn't you just write at the beginning of the document, "no changes from the previous one" and initial it? As an example a group of tavern owners did that when the state gambling commission continued sending out multi-page information 'updates' every six months asking for all of the exact same info again and again. Sure I could see filling out all the paperwork if a business changed hands, but when nothing at all has changed, it gets frustrating.

Re: distrib info demands 06 Aug 2003 21:08 #24104

• garymey
  • Senior Boarder
I said I was going to do just that and they said "No." I think I will anyway.

Re: distrib info demands 08 Aug 2003 14:02 #24105

• Barry Floyd
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dreamworks and MGM "lost" our paperwork... to which we have to fill it all out again.

Somebody, somewhere has a copy of my life history (financially speaking) complete with bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, corporate organization paperwork, etc. Seems to me it's like a bad case of identity theft waiting to happen!!!!

Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Re: distrib info demands 27 Aug 2003 02:34 #24106

• Alan_G
  • Senior Boarder
jimor said in part: I doubt very much the truthfulness of the reply NATO gave you. Since they are not an exhibitor nor a distrib/producer, they are not goverened by the Sherman Anti-Trust Act ...

Perhaps the problem is that they can't go to the studios to try to get them to agree on required information because of anti-trust considerations on the part of the studios.

Re: distrib info demands 27 Aug 2003 09:30 #24107

• garymey
  • Senior Boarder
Alan has it right.

Re: distrib info demands 29 Aug 2003 00:20 #24108

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
What annoys me about the situation is that they studios won't take the information on anything other than their own damn forms. I'd love to be able to stick it into an excel spreadsheet or word table and just print it out, customizing it based on their request. But I hate writing it all out by hand and I refuse to type it!

As for the studios losing your stuff...it happens all the time. Keep a complete copy in your files and notate when you sent it or better yet send via a method that gives you proof of delivery.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction