Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office brokered versus independent
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: brokered versus independent

brokered versus independent 21 Jul 2003 08:39 #24052

• jerry39
  • Fresh Boarder
If brokered do I pay a fee to be brokered? Can an independent get first run films?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: brokered versus independent 21 Jul 2003 09:10 #24053

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Since a broker is someone who arranges a deal or contract, but is a title generally not used in the motion picture industry, I assume that you are referring to a booker.

Yes, you do pay a booker to aquire films for your theatre, and yes, an independent theatre can be first run regardless of whether you use a booker or book for yourself.

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited July 21, 2003).]

Re: brokered versus independent 21 Jul 2003 10:54 #24054

• jerry39
  • Fresh Boarder
What do you call a theater which is not independent? I understood the terms to be independent and brokered. The terms basically having to do with how much profit you could expect from an independent versus brokered. Example, you could expect a dollar from the purchase price for a brokered theater versus several dollars from an independent.????? Help!

Re: brokered versus independent 21 Jul 2003 14:32 #24055

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
In this industry the two terms are: independent versus chain. An independent theater is owned by someone (usually local) while the chains are large corporate entities with many theaters in many locations run by managers. Examples: Regal, AMC, Cinemark etc.

Brokered is not a term used in this industry as Roxy mentioned.

Film is obtained from distributors in one of two ways. You do it yourself directly- contacting a distributor representative- or you hire someone to talk to the distributor representative for you - a film booker. If you hire someone to talk for you, you will pay them money probably every month but that is negotiated between you and your booker. It has nothing to do with the distributors or the film that you get.

Your choice of booker may make the difference of whether you are able to obtain a particular film or not but many here will tell you that they have no problems securing their desired film themselves.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction