Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Older Movies

Older Movies 16 Jun 2003 19:15 #23959

I am opening a dinner theatre in an old movie theatre. Besides the theatre I am using there is another empty theatre that still has a screen and an old projector. I am curious as too how I would go about acquiring older movies to run in that theatre. They don't even have to be that old....I was thinking 70's, 80's cult classic stuff. Is this Possible?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Older Movies 16 Jun 2003 19:46 #23960

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Contact criterion USA. They have older pix in both 16mm and 35mm.
[url=http://www.criterionpicusa.com.]www.criterionpicusa.com.[/url]

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Older Movies 17 Jun 2003 09:27 #23961

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Could 'WindintheWillow' be wanting to show the old Disney animated featurette: "The Wind In The Willows," that filmization of the classic 1908 novel by Kenneth Grahame? Or maybe the 1997 British live action version is wanted. Both are well done, but then this is really a lovely, gentle story that should be read (but am I using a 'dirty word' in the video generation, and on a films site??!!!) While written for kids, the famous story has some good morals for adults too.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Older Movies 17 Jun 2003 13:15 #23962

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
windinthewillow

What kind of town? Is it close to a college? Because now in the DVD age it's easier just to rent some of those titles. Some of those prints are beatup. Some studios have made a few new prints, but there are a lot of beatup ones.
Here in NYC, it would work. Down in the Greenwich Village and East Village areas of the city.

Re: Older Movies 18 Jun 2003 09:04 #23963

• crshedd
  • Senior Boarder
i have had several problems with criterion-mostly too expensive and missing change over cue marks. try [url=http://www.swank.com.]www.swank.com.[/url] they can include trailers for your next movie (criterion does not) and i always open with a cartoon (criterion does not carry cartoons). i can get a movie, trailer, cartoon and return shipping for over $100 less than criterion.

be careful of renting a dvd. renting from a video store does not give you public showing rights-paid admission or not.

'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

[This message has been edited by crshedd (edited June 18, 2003).]
'hey! there's no party here!'
jeff spicoli
fast times at ridgemont high

Re: Older Movies 18 Jun 2003 16:20 #23964

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
If you've got room to show movies: do it and forget the oldies. Is there anyone who ever has shown oldies with any consistent luck? I'll bet there are not ten theatres in the US that do so.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Older Movies 19 Jun 2003 09:07 #23965

• mbd
  • Fresh Boarder
There's a theatre in Melbourne Australia which shows lots of old films (mixed in with newer ones). It's called The Astor and they tend to show a different double feature every night of the week with a 1-3 week run of something special every month or so. Popular double-features include Breakfast at Tiffanys/Barefoot in the Park, The Party/Some Like It Hot, Dr No/Goldfinger, etc etc. Some of the longer run specials they have on their current calendar include Metropolis (Fritz Lang's), Naqoyqaatsi, Lawrence of Arabia and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

They do a pretty good job running a large single screen and it's always a pleasure to see films there as you can tell that whoever is running it loves the movies.

You can check out their website at
http://www.astor-theatre.com

Re: Older Movies 19 Jun 2003 12:10 #23966

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
There is just such a 'classics' cinema in Milwukee called the TIMES CINEMA ( www.timescinema.com ) which has been running this revival format (including some 3-D) in the former auto repair garage which became Wisconsin's first and last TRANS-LUX (rear projection) theatre in 1935 (the TIMES was converted to regular projection in the '60s). At this location, and formerly at our AVALON, the operator, Mr. Levin and his mother, have been screening the 'oldies but goodies' for many years. There is no danger of them getting rich, but they hang in there providing an alternative to the rampant sex and violence of the studios today.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction