Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Where's Bob Hope when we need him?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where's Bob Hope when we need him?

Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 02 Apr 2003 23:12 #23854

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Every major war or conflict of the past century had the support of Hollywood. Many performers like Bob Hope hit the road to entertain our troops to help boost morale, and do there part to support the war effort.

There has been no mention from Hollywood about doing such during this war. Last night I saw a piece on one of the cable news networks about Hollywoods lack of interest in supporting this war, and how it might come back to hurt them, as the public realizes that much of Hollywood as a bastian of liberalism is against almost anything carried out by the present administration, and therefore the war effort as well. With polls showing anywhere from 70% to 80% of the public supporting the war, the Hollywood lefts stand could turn people off to going to the movies as a way to show their disatisfaction with Hollywood.

We may not be Hollywood, but we depend on them for our product, and if the public decides to boycote movies, we are in big trouble. I have always publicly kept my distance from the Hollywood image. As I am in a rather conservative town, even though 90% Democrats here, I have created an image on a local level as a conservative enterprise interested in the needs of our local community rather then one based on national priorities. I hope that my long standing reputation for supporting the community will pull me through if a backlash against Hollywood does materialize.

The reporter did say that she felt that Hollywood will come around once they see that the dollar flow could be interrupted by their actions.

Time will tell.

PS. I know that if Bob Hope could still go out on the road he'd be out there doing it regardless of what the rest of Hollywood did (or didn't do).

[This message has been edited by RoxyVaudeville (edited April 03, 2003).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 03 Apr 2003 00:48 #23855

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I saw Bob Hope at Eglin AFB, Florida right before my ex left for Viet Nam in 1969. He put on an excellent show and uplifted all our spirits. Seems like the vocal Hollywood personalities would be more careful in what they say. I know lots of people who still cannot stand Jane Fonda because of her antics during Viet Nam.

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 03 Apr 2003 07:42 #23856

• Tony
  • Junior Boarder
When I was deployed to Sarah-J-Vo, Bosnia, we had a group of stage dancers come over to entertain us. They reminded you of the Rocketeers......let me tell ya, after 6 months cut off from the outside world, there's nothing like seeing show girls dance across the stage to get you motivated
(it was just like show-west, but without Robert Goulet!!)

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 03 Apr 2003 08:57 #23857

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
My father is a Viet Nam vet and my gradfather a WWII vet, they both hate Jane Fonda with a passion to this day, when ever we've talked about the military they both remember every show that was put on, who was in it, etc. It's human nature to block out the bad memories of war and remember the few good things that came of it. My grandfather would always make a comment when he'd see Bob Hope on T.V. "Now there's a good man"

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 03 Apr 2003 11:16 #23858

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Julia Roberts/Clooney/et al from Oceans 11 were in Yugo and Afghan to screen the film before it opened/...... to me "this" war is pretty fast moving to expect tap dancers to be showing up yet.

"Hey! Can we get a cold one over here at Nazariyah!!"

During the Acads it seemed to me pretty clear that a lot of the aud did not like Moore's comments. At least from the bellowing it seemed that way.

I think it's more of the the toe the line pap: the Hollywood elite- the liberal media..... blah-blahg-blah ......sold and stuffed down our throats by the conservative controlled media. I don't buy it. And I don't consult polls on how to feel.

Sure there are people in Holly agin the war but Arnold and lots other sare way for it.

Let's see: has the fact that 99% of rap perfs are jerks hurt "their" sales? Nope.

Hollywood makes endless bad movies at time and does anyone mind? Nope.

I.E. Mister Faux News Whiner O' Reilley hates George Clooney and goes after him ad nauseum. Hate to mention it but a grand total of 2.1 million people watch Fox at any time. That's in a country of 280 million.

How about we let actors make movies and we show them?

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 03 Apr 2003 14:00 #23859

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I’d be curious to see what people here thought of Adrin Brody’s comments when he got the award. After watching Moore bludgeon everybody with his comments – whether you agreed with him or not, the delivery sucked – I found it curious that Brody chose to make comments that had both the liberals and conservatives standing and applauding. Resolving any conflict starts with common ground and Brody seemed to find it.
I’m not too worried about losing biz because of Hollyweed’s political slant, even when it seems out of touch with the polls. The entertainment biz seems to survive when most other businesses have hit rough times. Right now I’m playing The Quiet American and doing quite well.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Where's Bob Hope when we need him? 04 Apr 2003 16:36 #23860

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Roxy:

Keep doing what your doing. If it turns out that people do boycott certain films from Hollywood then start booking classics and foreign films. "Hollywood" isn't the only source of good films. You don't really think those pampered, rich, liberal leftists in Hollywood give a rip about us, do you? Perhaps a boycott of their films will open their eyes. (I know, I know. But I can hope, can't I?)

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction