Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Managers

Managers 10 May 2002 00:10 #23840

Hi,
I own a small theatre in Montana, and I am looking at the possibility of purchasing another. I have been running my theatre for about 9 years, and have really enjoyed it. I love the challenge of finding ways to save money and making my theatre the best it can be.
Its one thing to own a business, and run it your self because you know what you have to do the please the custormer. But when you hire someone its just a job to them and they are not likly to go out of their way to make people happy.
My question is if you hire someone that hopefully you can trust to do a good job, what should you pay them?
This theatre is in a small town, is a single screen, and runs two show each night.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Managers 10 May 2002 09:34 #23841

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
I was asking the same question as I'm looking at a similar prop and could not find that answer very well as regional differences are huge. It went from 20,000. to 35k per year and then there's the benefits! It really depends on 1. the town and area, 2. what are you going to do for the theatre that you currently do for your own? 3. do you want to encourage job hunting and theft?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Managers 11 May 2002 08:17 #23842

I was forced by Corporate (when I was with the big dogs) to hire Asst Mgrs at what I thought was too low a rate. There for it encouraged Job Hunting and Theft. Region and corporate bean counters do not understand the trash in trash out theory. If you can afford it find someone who is as excited about running a theatre as you are and pay them well. (well to me is at least 30k a year and up + commission )
Now your situation and market may not allow for this type of pay but you get what you pay for.

Re: Managers 28 Feb 2003 12:19 #23843

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
kokanee-dude: I really take offense with your generalization. Not all the people you could hire have that "its just a job," attitude. Their are people out there who have a genuine work ethic. BELIVE IT OR NOT!!!

Re: Managers 28 Feb 2003 16:29 #23844

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
The number one requirement you should look for in a manager is a passion for the business and the desire to give the patrons an enjoyable movie-going experience. If the first question out of a candidate's mouth is "How much does it pay?" then don't hire him/her. If your manager possesses these qualities (in addition to the other qualities needed) and you have to hire him/her at a salary lower than you'd like that passion will carry him/her until you can afford to pay more and that passion will help your theatre succeed so you can pay more. There are people like that out there (I am one, currently working on a project in Oregon) so screen (no pun intended) your candidates carefully.

While a "good work ethic" is necessary, the qualities I mentioned above and the willingness, no eagerness, to learn all aspects of exhibition are essential.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction