Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office From the ground up...
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: From the ground up...

From the ground up... 12 Feb 2003 22:00 #23784

• Jon
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm fascinated by this forum. I've spent the last 20 years working in sound for films and have just realized how naive I am about the business of film exhibitor. I'd like to ask some basic questions:
How much do film rent for and with who do you work out this agreement? Is it true that some studios/distributors require payment in advance for some films? What is the scale for non-first run films?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: From the ground up... 12 Feb 2003 22:27 #23785

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
If you are first run,you can expect to average 50-55% of your boxoffice gross over a year.First week is usually 60%-70%,declining from there.Second run or discount,you'll pay about 35%-40% tops.

Usually an independent should retain an independent film buyer/booker(which I am,by the way!)The booker will work in your interest to get the best terms,plus many other things.He is your liason between yourself and distributors.Some theatre owners do their own booking,but a good booker can save you a lot of time,aggravation and money.

Re: From the ground up... 13 Feb 2003 12:13 #23786

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
And yes/ sometimes advances are required. As opposed to guarantees which also may be required. An advance is good faith monmey. A guarantee says you will pay X amount of film rental.

I have to say... the movies sound very nice. Thanks for that great sound!

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: From the ground up... 13 Feb 2003 13:16 #23787

• Jon
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the compliment.

I know this has as many different answers as situations but what would the gross profit of box office to gross profit of concessions roughly work out to?

In my business, I'm finding that being independent from studios gives me flexibility in financing, labor, etc. Can the same be said with movie theaters? What would an independent theater owner do first to go against an established chain?

CharlieBo: What is your payment based upon, fee or percentage?

Thank you very much

Re: From the ground up... 13 Feb 2003 15:28 #23788

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
as I said,as first run,your film rental should be 50-55% of b.o.You pay no film rental on concessions.If you buy right,your concession cost should be about 30% of sales,and your gross on concessions should be 38-42% of b.o. dollars.

My fees are a straight $ amount,and it depends on number of screens,and how difficult the booking situation is.I will only quote a weekly fee after extensive talks with the client,and after evaluating the particular situation,but in all cases I try to be fair and competitive.

Re: From the ground up... 13 Feb 2003 19:31 #23789

• Jon
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your prompt answer.
Also thank you for taking the time to answer some questions that if I'd put an inch of investigation in to the rest of the posts, I'd have found on my own.

I've run my sound editing business for over 13 years and the similarities between film exhibiting and my business are multi-fold.

The bottom line between the two is a passion for films. I've chosen the wrong end of movie making to make a huge chunk of cash but I have a talent for and love what I do.

I'm curious about the possibility of a sliding ticket scale. Has there been any talk about charging higher prices for large budgeted or long awaited films? If so, what do you think the audience response would be?

Thank you for your time.

Re: From the ground up... 13 Feb 2003 20:30 #23790

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
yeah,they have talked about that.The general opinion is that most of the public would have the opinion that the lower priced film is a "dog".I don't like the "sliding scale'policy at all.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction