Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Patron number averages and bills
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Patron number averages and bills

Patron number averages and bills 23 Dec 2002 03:49 #23649

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
These are just a few questions about potential revenue among many. Note: all questions are hypothetical and based on operating a new 6-plex (2-3 of which showing art/indie films) with pristine presentation (Film Done Right), excellent customer service, and a location on the corner of two very busy (arterial) streets, seating a total of 1872 people at max capacity, and two colleges within 10-15 miles. This all in a city with another indie, a 9 screen first-run, with poor-fair presentation, fair customer service, and a location close to the new 6-plex (within 5 miles), but hidden in the back roads off of an arterial, and with 35 years in the area. The present indie also owns an 18 screen first-run and a 7 screen sub-run within 10 miles, and a 9 screen first run within 20 miles in a burrough of the main city.

1. On average, what would be a good (read realistic) percentage of occupancy per show. I was thinking and hoping of 20% at 5 shows a day, is this an unrealistic average, if so, what is realistic, 5%, 10%?

2. How much busier are nights compared to matinees. My guess is about 4, but probably closer to 2-3.

3. What would be the average amount of box office kept considering the percentage in #1? 30%?

4. How are patrons on average divided up into age groups percentage wise? Considering all matinees the same price, and a seperate price for adults, children/seniors, and students/military in the evening. My initial estimate would have to be 50% adults, 30% child/senior, and 20% student/military.

5. What is a realistic per capita for this theatre. $1.50-$2.00?

6. What bills are there to be paid each month, and approx. how much would each be. So far I have the following (not in order of priority):

a. Electric
b. Water
c. Heating/Air
d. Licenses/Permits
e. Taxes
f. Phones/LAN for credit cards.
g. Payroll (approx. $27,707.05)
h. Misc. (light bulbs, office expendables, etc.)
i. Building and Equipment Loans (approx. $38,323.71)
j. Advertising
k. Replenishment of stock, food products, CO2, etc.

7. What kinds of permits or licenses would be needed?

All responses to any of the questions would be greatly appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Patron number averages and bills 23 Dec 2002 09:51 #23650

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
Zamin,
Most of your questions have been answered before on this forum, go to search and look for things like "occupancy" or "business plan".

When you find yourself with some free time, choose the display all messages option and you will find all the information you seek and more. The Lobby and The Back Office are probably the best stariting points.

Most of the regular posters here have answered questions about Per Caps, Business Plans, How do I start a theatre, etc. so many times they will not respond to new threads.

As for your location, with the Indie controlling 43 screens and by your description of the area I believe a Kerasotes 16, I think you will struggle to book any first run product, you may however have a great location for an Art House.

Best of Luck.

Re: Patron number averages and bills 23 Dec 2002 13:50 #23651

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
1. On average, what would be a good (read realistic) percentage of occupancy per show.

We did about 10% the first year. We are close to 20% in year 3.

2. How much busier are nights compared to matinees.

We did 40% for the Matinee and 60% for the regular price shows.

3. What would be the average amount of box office kept considering the percentage in #1?

This year we are going to pay 46%, but we play art. Commercial will pay 55%.

4. How are patrons on average divided up into age groups percentage wise?

We sold 42% Adult tickets, 18% Senior/Child tickets, 4% Super Saver, 34% Matinee, 1.76% Passes in November.

5. What is a realistic per capita for this theatre. $1.50-$2.00?

We're doing about $1.80

6. What bills are there to be paid each month, and approx. how much would each be. So far I have the following (not in order of priority):

a.b.c. Utilities $56,871 this year

d. Licenses/Permits

e. Taxes

f. Phones/LAN for credit cards. We spent $7,756 on Telephone service this year.

g. Payroll (approx. $27,707.05) Geeze that's great, we spent $156,970.24 on our staff this year.

h. Misc. (light bulbs, office expendables, etc.)

i. Building and Equipment Loans (approx. $38,323.71)We paid $202,551 in rent.

j. Advertising, we spent 7% on marketing this year.

k. Replenishment of stock, food products, CO2, etc. We spent 23% on Concession Merchandise Costs.

Re: Patron number averages and bills 23 Dec 2002 14:42 #23652

• Zamin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Large, you've been a great help. On a similar note, would NATO's Encyclopedia of exhibition be a great place to find national averages for questions of this nature, or is there another or better source?

Re: Patron number averages and bills 23 Dec 2002 19:04 #23653

• jg_vincent
  • Fresh Boarder
My numbers fall very close to Large's. NATO's Encyclopedia of exhibition has nothing close to this, I have searched extensively for financial data and there are only two reports that would be of any use, one the Kagan report:
http://www.kagan.com/cgi-bin/pkcat/exh01.html

second is Moviegoing USA:
http://www.dodona.co.uk/moviegoing.htm

Both are expensive. If anyone knows cheaper alternatives please advise.

1800 seats over only 6 screens? Having only 3-4 screens dedicated to first run will be a hindrance with working terms down (and then your film cost percentage - BIG difference on the bottom line(I have 4 screens and wish I had 8 (or even 5 for that matter))), etc. You'd be better off doing the 1800 seats over more screens and dedicating at least 7 to first run the remainder to art films, or go all art films with 4-5 screens and less seats and save $$$ on construction costs.

Good Luck
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction