Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Sneak Peeks: What Happens?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sneak Peeks: What Happens?

Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 09 Dec 2002 13:17 #23641

I'm just wandering abut sneak peeks. How much % does the distributor get from these showings? When do you receive your print? Do you get to keep the print if you're opening it?

I'm talking about the sneak peeks a week before the film opens, on a Saturday or Friday, with one show. How do you go about getting one of these screenings?

Thanx!

"Would you like fries with that?"
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 09 Dec 2002 17:17 #23642

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The studios make those decisions. They usually cancel one of their own films for the sneak preview. The cost of the sneak preview is billed and the regular film rate.

Studios sometimes hold exhibitor screenings or press screenings. They usually pay the theatre something to hold those screenings. We used to get $100 at Landmark in the mid '80s. I hope they have increased it.

We hold advanced screenings for our public radio station. We usually pay a flat rate for those screenings, as we don't collect any money for them. Sometimes the studios will give us an advanced screening for publicity purposes.

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 10 Dec 2002 09:04 #23643

• carlpalko
  • Junior Boarder
We had a sneakpeek of The Hot Chick, open to the public last friday (the 6th). I'm not to sure of the terms money wise, but I do know we still have the print waiting to be shown again when it opens. We got the print on the day before, as we do with all our prints.

Carl

[This message has been edited by carlpalko (edited December 10, 2002).]

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 10 Dec 2002 09:40 #23644

We usually got the print a day or two before the sneek. Usually on thursdays with the other prints, It depended if we were opening it the next week if we kept it or not.
We always were booked for those advance exhibitor screenings and 9 times out of ten I left the print in the can unless I wanted to watch it because no one came.(competition was too far or they did not know about it) Technicolor would have those picked up the next day and I did not want to fool with breaking it back down.

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 10 Dec 2002 18:10 #23645

• Mike Spaeth
  • Platinum Boarder
The last time I was involved with a Promo screening from a studio, they were billed $1.00/seat. If they wanted the 400-seat house, it was $400, etc.

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 11 Dec 2002 05:22 #23646

Note also that if it is a "Sneak Preview" and not a free screening that the gross will be added onto whatever dud that the film company chooses to drop...

ie: Maid In Manhattan replaced 8 crazy nights for one show and sold out so that gross will count towards 8 crazy nights!

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 11 Dec 2002 10:38 #23647

Yes, the type of preview I was talking about was like THE HOT CHICK, which I saw on Friday, and Maid In Manhattan that was doubled up (2-for-1) with 8 Crazy Nights.

"Would you like fries with that?"
Since 1987

Re: Sneak Peeks: What Happens? 11 Dec 2002 11:16 #23648

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
A friend was telling me about a NYC theatre that gets paid 2000.00 to "open" films in NYC for Acad and press screenings but that no one ever comes to them! Except the reviewers.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction