Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office SANTA BOOKING LENGTH
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH

SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 18 Nov 2002 09:14 #23612

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
Is anyone getting out of SANTA CLAUSE 2 after 3 weeks? Or Splitting after 3?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 18 Nov 2002 16:56 #23613

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
I have a couple of 2 week towns that they allowed me to drop after 3 weeks(reluctantly)

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 18 Nov 2002 22:41 #23614

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
Are any in the Northeast. Sorry about the topic in multiple Rooms.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 18 Nov 2002 23:51 #23615

• CharlieBo
  • Gold Boarder
No,these are in Nevada and Arizona,and each are only 2 screens

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 20 Nov 2002 07:17 #23616

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
I'm a twin as well. In VT.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 20 Nov 2002 10:52 #23617

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
Oh boy am I with you. They did this very consciously knowing that if they took that date for SC 2 then it would block those screens going to 007 and they could get it into Treasure Planet. I passed on TP and had to hold SC2 and am just hoping for the best on Monday. I am going to write MGM: they really don't do much to promote 007. ;(

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 20 Nov 2002 18:34 #23618

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
I have found that with a twin in a small town with a mixed demographic, booking Disney kiddie films first run, unsplittable, just does not pay. We have averaged 6 people per night for Santa the last 9 nights. Some matinee business (40 people Sat & Sun) but horrible terms from Disney. They won't play ball, negotiate, use common sense or empathize at all. They cut off their own tails on a regular basis. We come up with good logical, fair and profitable alternatives that will make them much more money and keep the film in our theater for many extra weeks by being creative and they are intractable. "Blank" 'em in the future. I wouldn't take Treasure Planet if Ovitz called me personally!

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 20 Nov 2002 23:51 #23619

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As I have said before and will say it again, it seems that distributors are always more tougher and more difficult in the Northeast than in the rest of the country. Not sure why but I know that it is true.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 21 Nov 2002 00:51 #23620

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Just to add to what usfrench said about Disney. It's so true that they don't use any common sense. They will shoot themselves in the foot before they will change a so-called policy.

EXAMPLE: Disney has just recently announced a new policy for moveover runs in our territory. Now for the first time there will be a "window" between first run and moveover run of two weeks. The first runs in our area are coming off of "Sweet Home Alabama" today, Nov. 21st. Because of the two week rule, they will not take any dates for Nov. 29th for over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. They therefore will miss one of the best holiday weekends of the year, but will let us play it between Dec. 6th and 20th when there is historically no business at all. Go figure.

Now back to the topic of getting out of Clause 2. I can see the following happening in our market area. Due to the huge amount of product that is opening between now and Christmas, it could just happen that Clause 2 could leave our area first runs on Dec 19th, just before Christmas. If that were to happen, the two week rule would prohibit us from playing it during Christmas week. A Santa Clause movie not being allowed to be played during Christmas week. The best week of the year, especially for a Christmas movie! But no, we may have to play it after the new year when Christmas is already forgotten.

Where is the intelligence in this?

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 22 Nov 2002 19:03 #23621

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I have to say a kind word for Buena Vista as they have been our best supporters from the beginning. I know that I usually pay more money each year to Buena Vista than anyone else excluding the year Regal had trouble with Dreamworks and we got 2 of their first runs and this year when it will be a tight race between Buena Vista and Sony. Many times BV has seen it our way when we needed something special including splits that worked well: like Unbreakable and 102 Dalmatians for Christmas. They were the first to work with us on first run and the only ones who stuck with us. I can't help having a soft spot in my heart for them.

However, I do think that they make mistakes and it sounds like a big one is inserting a 2 week window between first run and moveover. It is not good for them and it is not good for us. I was thinking that Santa Clause 2 would work perfectly for Roxy at Christmas and should be available by what I am seeing. BV would be wise to schedule Santa on as many screens as possible at Christmas because the market forces are against it remaining on many of the opening theater screens. I have found that all things change in this business and they will eventually realize that the policy isn't working for them. They are still very sensitive about what happened to 102 Dalmatians when it was grinched by the Grinch. I know that is why Santa Clause 2 was scheduled ahead even though it only worked half as well as it would have with a later start. They should be happy to book those screens like yours Roxy.

As far as skipping the kiddie product because Disney won't deal you a shorter contract. Do it if that is what works best in your market. Eventually they may see it your way. You have to do what is best for you. I would do the opposite and book everything that I could get my hands on from BV- no problem with a 4 week contract here but we are just a very different business.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 24 Nov 2002 01:31 #23622

• Rialto
  • Gold Boarder
Just slightly off topic, but I doubt Ovitz would be calling anyone about anything on Disney's behalf.

Re: SANTA BOOKING LENGTH 24 Nov 2002 11:24 #23623

• usfrench
  • Gold Boarder
Oops-I meant Eisner!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction