Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Our managers job description

Our managers job description 28 Jul 2002 08:58 #23393

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Greetings;
Thank you for your interest in the manager's position of the Temple Theatre. We will not be interviewing for this position until later in August. Filling this position will be our most important business decision in the launch and we are seeking the exact right person. As the ad stated: you must be flexible and work an assortment of hours that will include an assortment of days and hours which will include evenings, holidays, and weekends. We will only close for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The job will be challenging and stimulating. The manager (with a lot of direction and support) will have essential control of The Temple Theatre. It is a fun job generally. People are in a good mood when they come to the movies. If you use the internet please look at www.bigscreenbiz.com forums, [url=http://www.boxoffice.com,]www.boxoffice.com,[/url] and www.filmjournal.com to learn a little about the ways of the movie business. If you're in Presque Isle or another movie theatre please speak to the staff or manager and ask about what it is like to work in a movie theatre. We'll be in touch and look forward to meeting you.
Here is a further job description to assist you to understand this position.
Job description for The Temple Theatre manager position
Greetings: We expect to open the Temple Theatre in October. From that day on it will run 363 days a year closing only for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The movie business is a fun place for the right person. People who come to the movies are generally in a good mood. There is a lot of social contact. But there is a lot of work too. Films must come in on time, get made up onto the platter system, all the equipment and staff must work, the operation must be constantly monitored and tweaked. There are endless details and every one is important to make the movies go well. The hours will vary and the schedule will be made by the manager and I as there will be a need to work partial days and nights in varying hours on different days. If you seek 9-5 I regret this is not that job. I am seeking the one person I can team with. This project is very important to me and I want that one person who feels the same way as I do. Running a downtown movie theatre in a small town is rewarding work if you love the business. If you don't: please do not consider this job. The hours will be complicated; not necessarily long but complicated.
"We" is Michael Hurley and Therese Bagnardi and we live in Belfast. Michael will be the primary supervisor and contact but Therese will also have complete freedom of management in-put.

Although we have been in various businesses for 30 years we have never run a business from a distance. We expect there to be many bumps in the road as we learn how to do that well. We will maintain an apartment in Houlton and plan on being there at least once a week for periods of time in the beginning and hope to reduce that to once every two weeks once we feel that the theatre is under solid management. There will be a full time office open 9-5 M-F in Belfast. The Colonial staff will also always be available for consultation, assistance, and support.

Please read on.
A typical day: you come in, do some orders, make up deposits, talk to me by phone, do some cleaning, get signs up, posters out, talk to advertisers, insure scheduling of staff is fine, a few deliveries come in, do inventory reports, fax or e mail daily reports, carry things to storage or for stocking, clean the sidewalk with the hose and broom, make sure the theatres have been cleaned or help clean also, etc. Make some promotional sales calls. This portion of the day may take 3-4 hours. Go home. Come back, set up for opening, turn on lights, heat, fans, music, etc. Make sure staff are in. Help sell tiks, or concession , or run projectors.
Oversee everything: this is a Broadway show, a play, a concert, a performance: the entire event is for the benefit of the patron who has paid good money to have a first class experience. IT IS YOUR JOB TO DELIVER to each and every patron individually a good experience.
Throw kids out, warn others, clean up a spill, make corn, sell, sweep up, call the cops about some jerks outside, make the staff clean carpet stains, etc. Shut down the register, collect cash.. Then either you or the projectionist and one other person stays till the bitter end. On weeknights it's one show only… 6:00 to 9:00 or so. Week end nights we call Friday and Saturday nights and they run until 11:30 or so. This does not mean it will be you and only you every night for the whole night. Perhaps you leave early on some nights. A short night might be 1-1.5 hours. But it will always be you on stand by if someone does not show. Friday and Sat nights are nearly always a mandatory until after 9 pm at the earliest.
The new manager will be an extension of the owner's management and will be completely responsible for operating the Temple. He or she will do be responsible for the following but shall not be limited to the following…..
" supervising the entire staff
" making sure that the theatre is always clean inside and out
" will make sure order and good behavior is maintained
" will keep a close eye on maintenance of every aspect of the building and equipment
" shall be cross trained in most operations of the theatre
" keep the proper signage and décor in order
" keep everything stocked
" stay in tight communication with Belfast
" make deposits and manage the cash
" insure that employee theft is not occurring
" Insure that employee theft is not occurring (is that clear?)
" keep track of various statistics
" work most evening shows

" Work on many if not most holidays including 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving evening, etc.
" cooperate with the community, Chamber of Commerce in promoting the Temple Theatre and the Houlton area
" throw a huge welcome to our Canadian neighbors
" Have a cheerful, positive attitude at most times.
" Have a cheerful. positive attitude with the public at all times.
" Will be expected to train and visit Belfast from time to time for meetings and training.
" Will work well with the operators and the staff: no Attila the Hun need apply.
" Will have good communication skills
" Will have a neat, clean, and well dressed personal and professional appearance and demeanor
" Will not bring shame or embarrassment upon the Temple Theatre: your persona and personal life will reflect on the theatre
" Will be committed to NOT doing anything "the way it used to be" at The Temple Theatre.
" Keep the sidewalks cleaned, the road clean, and the trees in good shape and maybe plant a few flowers too.
" Be good with children: this includes a very friendly firmness
" Maintain a cool head under fire and in high stress situations: no freak outs allowed.
" Have good handwriting.
" Will plan vacations in advance and will be responsible for the management of the theatre while away.
" Will be positive and excited about being part of the greatest method ever conceived in how to tell a story.
" Shall run a non prejudiced, tolerant workplace: no bigotry allowed by anyone.
" Know how to run a computer and use e mail
" Learn the first commandment of movie biz: thou shalt not run out of popcorn!
" Have an eye for detail.
" Be committed for long term employment
" Be honest
" Be prepared to have their honesty closely monitored
" Be fast
" Refuse to suffer slackers
" Ultimately will have the right to hire and fire (after consultation).
" Not be afraid to get down on the knees to clean carpet stains.
" Willing to clean a greasy popcorn machine,
" Have a good ability with numbers
" "But wait there's more!"

What will the manager not be expected to do?
" Book the films
" Obtain promotional materials
" Operate a check book
" Keep financial records
" Make final advertising decisions
" Submit weekly advertising
" Communicate with the film studio's
" Make up payroll
" Be responsible for insurances, permits, etc.
" "But wait there's more!"

This will serve to give you a better idea of the job and what is entailed in the manager's position. Some aspects of this job may not be a 100% fit. Perhaps you cannot climb stairs? Or absolutely can't climb a ladder? Or one or another aspect is something you just cannot do. Don't count yourself out. We will make our decision based on finding the best person and hope you'll leave that final call up to us. If after reading all this you are not interested please let us know. Otherwise we look forward to meeting you in August.
Yours truly;
Mike Hurley & Therese Bagnardi
93 Main Street
Belfast, Me 04915
338-1975 Fax 338-2951
E mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
In Houlton Temple Theatre 532-2200

Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Our managers job description 28 Jul 2002 23:10 #23394

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I was getting ready to apply, but then I saw that I wouldn't be allowed to book or do the newspaper ads. Count me out.

Re: Our managers job description 29 Jul 2002 11:38 #23395

I was planning to apply also but then I saw the part that stated:

"Have good handwriting"
That counts me out. My mom has always said that I shoulda been a doctor because everything I hand-write looks like a prescription. Thank heaven for computers!

[This message has been edited by Starlite Cinema (edited July 29, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Starlite Cinema (edited July 29, 2002).]

Re: Our managers job description 29 Jul 2002 15:49 #23396

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Mike,

Great letter! That’s a $10 letter in a $0.50 world. Most companies I have applied to just send a postcard that says “We received you application, we may respond to you at some time in the future.” Which is better than half the companies I have applied to that don’t even bother to respond.

Ky would blow it on the handwriting.

I'd blow it by not being cheerful to the customers all the time. This business would be great without the "general public."

Mike, open on Christmas, There's money to be made. I would close some random Monday in mid-December but be open on Christmas. I might offer a discounted admission but I would be open.

Your prospective applicants had better memorize this letter. Anybody who fails to memorize this letter should be suspect.

We always ask these two very simple questions:

"So why do you want to work in a movie theatre?"

Can be modified to read, "Why do you want to work at this movie theatre?"

And:

"What was the last movie you saw? What did you think about it?"

We don't care what the last movie they saw was, we just want to see if they can carry on an intelligent conversation about it. If they can carry on an intelligent conversation about the last movie they saw with us, how are they going to do it with the public?

Re: Our managers job description 29 Jul 2002 21:53 #23397

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Yes Mike... open on Christmas. It's a good day. Maybe don't have a matinee (I don't), but be open for the evening. Christmas is done by 5 PM, and people are in a holiday mood and looking for things to do.

Re: Our managers job description 30 Jul 2002 07:54 #23398

• Mike
  • Administrator
We ask the "what was the last movie you saw?" also. Usually they have already told you how much they love! the movies. Yet I am always amazed how often they can't name a remotely recent movie.

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Our managers job description 30 Jul 2002 09:08 #23399

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
"Michael will be the primary supervisor and contact but Therese will also have complete freedom of management in-put."

Way to cover yourself Mike....

Excellent letter.

Re: Our managers job description 06 Aug 2002 19:06 #23400

• LanceC
  • Expert Boarder
Mike,
What does a qualified person make that would be a general manager for you...or better yet what range?
lance
and greg is right....nice CYA

Re: Our managers job description 07 Aug 2002 09:54 #23401

• Mike
  • Administrator
re: compensation / I went to the state job office in the area, talked to employers, etc. This is a depressed area and with very few fun places to work (movies are still fun the last time I checked!) We will be offering 20K, 2 weeks total vacation time first year including holidays, 1/2 pay for health care. We have a 2,000 per year sal increase built in for the next two years, to 3 weeks vacation, and full health care: tied to performance of the theatre. No increase? No increase.

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Our managers job description 08 Aug 2002 02:17 #23402

• wimovieman
  • Gold Boarder
Gee Mike--please send me an application

2 weeks vacation first year, holidays, health plan--thats better than i give myself noe lol

Our managers job description 25 Oct 2014 10:51 #41615

• Padawan
  • Senior Boarder
Mike, I'm curious how the division of labor you described in your manager listing above worked out. I have another source of primary income, so I would hope to eventually get to a similar division of labor between me and a manager if I open the theater I am looking at. Does it work? I know that I will need to be devoted to the theater much more to get it up and running successfully, but eventually, can one run it from a distance as you described in your message to prospective managers?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction