Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Movies are too Expensive!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Movies are too Expensive!

Movies are too Expensive! 14 Jul 2002 13:48 #23362

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
While going over my product costs in the concession forum my head started spinning with the greed and the avarice that we charge for soda and popcorn.

Yesterday we had a lady who bitched and moaned about the cost of going to the movies. She said that we should slash our ticket prices and more people would come to the movies to make up for our drop in income.

We have all heard the statistics that going to the movies today is cheaper on a cost adjusted basis than it was in the 30s or the 50s. I have also heard that although ticket prices have advanced slower than the economy, concession prices have advanced quicker than the economy.

These are my only answers:

We provide a service. Those that wish to avail themselves of our services will pay to do so. Those that don't wish to use our services will seek entertainment elsewhere.

10% of the people are going to bitch about the price no matter what it is.

Discount movie theatres are a dying breed, so why would I like to emulate them?

In America, I get the impression that in certain markets, it doesn't pay to discount product. Nobody has come out with the Wal-Mart of movie theatres yet. Movies are a luxury and one pays for a luxury. Movies just may be the cheapest luxury on the planet. Movies are cheaper than books, plays, concerts, pay-per-view sports, and all sporting events. I pay $80 per month for satellite television. I could go see 8 films for that amount.

My next argument is this. This year we will pull in about $2 million dollars in revenue. If we are lucky the theatre will be able to keep $200,000 of that money. That is a 10% return on investment. This means we will be writing checks for $1,800,000 to cover our costs. Showing movies to the public is expensive. So no, we are not overcharging the public.

Unfortunately, it's hard to make this detailed an argument to a woman at the box office.

What are your thoughts on this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Movies are too Expensive! 14 Jul 2002 16:37 #23363

• Larry Thomas
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I have generally found that if you have something they want to see, they will pay whatever your ticket price is to see it.

If you have something they don't want to see, all the free or discounted tickets in the world won't fill your house.

This is especially true in your case with art films, since the market share is even smaller than the regular houses.

When I had my own theatre (art house), I found that the biggest complainers were the seniors. No matter the price, they always wanted a discount. Since I charged one price for everyone, and that price was lower than the plexes, my answer was "we discount for everyone."

Re: Movies are too Expensive! 14 Jul 2002 20:09 #23364

It amazes me how much American patrons complain about how much movies cost...

In CANADA, you pay a minimum of 11.00 for a first run movie, with Famous Players in the talks about charging 15.00!! At FP, you already have to pay $12.50!

I agree Large, tell them it's a service, and if they wish to receive the service, than they may.

Otherwise, first run movies for $7.00 doesn't sound that bad, however it would cost me $10.00 to see one anyways.

"Would you like fries with that?"
Since 1987

Re: Movies are too Expensive! 17 Jul 2002 09:57 #23365

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 40
It's easy: "I'm sorry. Perhaps you should stick to videos since you obviously can't afford to be out in public?"

My arm has been killing me: Health insurance for just me: 396.00 per month, pain meds 80.00 per month, massage 140.00 per month, accupuncture 120.00 per month = 740.00 for one freaking arm for one freaking monmth and some cheap mo-fo wants me to feel bad about them paying too much to sit on their bloated butt stuffing Goobers in the cake hole? Fer cripes sakes!

I meet a buinch of guys for dinner every Monday night. We eat in cheapest possible places you can still get a beer. A beer (maybe 2), sandwich, fries, tip: if I can find it for less than 18.00 it's a miracle. And do I whine "If this were cheaper I'd come more often?"

On the other hand I saw the Grey Goose Vodka and thought I'll try that. 8.50 for a freaking martini! Oh my god!
!@!!!!

Everbody wants to go first class don't nobody want to pay.

Nuff said!

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Movies are too Expensive! 17 Jul 2002 13:20 #23366

Mike has hit the nail on the head with this one. You;ll always get the people who want the most for the least. I was in a store the other day and this lady comes up to the register to buy a T-Shirt for fifteen year old son. The person at the register rings up the sale and tells her the total is 21.50 and she goes crackers. She thought the price tag said 4.00. Where in gods green earth are you going to get a T-Shirt for 4.00. But that's just the way some people are.

Re: Movies are too Expensive! 17 Jul 2002 13:48 #23367

Well, and have these people thought of all the recent BANKRUPTCY FILINGS?!?!?!?

I saw an AT&T Wireless commercial today. They have this one guy say "Wow! With this plan, you can't even see a movie for that much!" The plan was 21.95 a month.

I totally agree with Ian. Movies are a luxury. A conveinient luxury, but a luxury none the less!

"Would you like fries with that?"
Since 1987
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction