Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Back Office Want some free demographic data about your market area?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Want some free demographic data about your market area?

Want some free demographic data about your market area? 26 Jun 2002 13:53 #23352

• Seeker
  • Senior Boarder
Well, it's not exactly free since you paid for it via federal income taxes, but there's no additional charge and no salesman will call. This will probably be most helpful to folks like me who are looking to open a theater.

More and more of the 2000 Census data is showing up on the Census Bureau's website. Income data is supposed to be available later this summer. Right now you can get age, sex, race, and household types all broken down by zip code. Here's how:

Step-by-step example retrieving Census 2000 ZIP Code Tabulation Area data from American FactFinder.

At [url=http://www.census.gov,]www.census.gov,[/url] select "American FactFinder" in the left column.

In the righthand column, under the "Data Sets" heading, select "2000 Summary File 1".

On the Data Sets page,
If it is not already filled in, click the radio button next to "Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data"

At the right, select "Quick Tables"

On the Select Geography page,
In the "select a geographic type" box, pick "5-digit ZIP Code Tabulation Area"

Select the first 3 digits of the ZIP code

Select one or more 5-digit ZIP codes and click "Add".

Click on "Next" (If you don't see the "Next" button, scroll right until you do.)

On the Select Tables page
Select "DP-1 Profile of General Delographic Characteristics" or other table, and click "Add"

Click "Show Table"

Notes:

In step 4 you may select more than one ZIP code, or all within a 3-digit group, and this will yield a series of separate tables, one for each area. (To create a consolidated table with different areas in successive columns, select "Detailed Tables" in step 3)

To obtain a map of a single ZIP Code tabulation area, follow steps 1 through 4.2., then select a single 5-digit code and click the "Map It" button.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Want some free demographic data about your market area? 26 Jun 2002 14:50 #23353

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
You made that easy. Thanks.
Except the correct link is http://www.census.gov
You added a comma by mistake.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited June 26, 2002).]

Re: Want some free demographic data about your market area? 27 Jun 2002 19:59 #23354

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Thank you seeker! The bad news is that this info is what you'll have to live with for 10 years as they speculate but don't do a thing until 2010!

Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Want some free demographic data about your market area? 28 Jun 2002 09:43 #23355

• Seeker
  • Senior Boarder
Mike,

Where I live folks are pretty hopped up about growth management and comprehensive land planning. My county's comprehensive plan uses census data to extrapolate population and economic trends. It's a guess, but it is somewhat educated.

My local good news is that it looks like a Regal sixplex is going to be demolished to make way for a big home improvement store. The movie fans in the immediate area are up in arms. One outspoken lady is writing letters to the editor and sending petitions to Regal corporate headquarters demanding they build a replacement theater (which I'm sure they breathlessly circulate among the board of directors). When I open I'm going to invite her as an honored guest to my gala grand opeming and play it up in the local press.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction