Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: promotions

promotions 30 Apr 2002 22:24 #23240

• adam
  • Fresh Boarder
i was just wondering if any one has ever tryed one of those promotion contests that keep poping up?
Has any one ever won one?
what types of things are they looking for in a good promotion and how do you figure the "media value" to the things you do.
what kinds of things have you tryed and did it help business?

thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: promotions 01 May 2002 08:16 #23241

Yes
No
Media value was just that . If we did a promo with the radio station that was a trade out they told us how many promos we got and what they were all worth if we had bought them. (i.e. 150 spots @ $35 =$5250 Value)
Radio promotions worked the best for us, we had a float in the christmas parade that was movie themed.
The radio promos brought busness in.
win tickets t-shirt or other movie give aways.
Some people have luck with cross promotion with another business, I never had much sucess.

Re: promotions 01 May 2002 09:42 #23242

• adam
  • Fresh Boarder
where did you get the things for giveaways? do the film companys give them to you or do you have to buy them?
how many can you get, is there a limit?

thank you

Re: promotions 01 May 2002 18:40 #23243

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
Ahem.....aw shucks. we won the national Sony
Zorro promotion and received a mounted one sheet autoed by the entire staff plus a check for 2500.00 which was nice! The entries are always dominated by the bigger chains as they seem to be able to afford to have a staff do these things on the clock. We don't have that big a staff and so we're limited. Some promotions are a blast: we did a The Price Is Right with live vuideo projection and questions before Austin Powers, we have a real live Bug Zoo with lotsa Spiders this Fri before Spiderman, a litter of dalmatians at guess what movie.etc. etc. An artful contest concept does stand a good chance of winning. Did it/does it help biz: I'd give a big shrug of the shoulders. But 2500.00 sure was nice!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: promotions 01 May 2002 22:44 #23244

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Ah yes... promotions.

No,I have never entered any of the studio promotions. As a 2nd run theatre it is usually too late to enter those contests, and seems rather useless to promote that which has already been promoted by the many megaplexes surrounding me, and the studios though TV, magazines etc. If I was out in the boonies with no other theatres near me it would be a different situation, but reselling the same goods that everyone is already aware of seems a waste of time and effort. Does that mean, don't promote. Of course not! But, as a 2nd run theatre there are different things to promote. We must convince people that there is a good reason to wait and see the pictures at our theatre many weeks after the national release. How do we do this? What we must do is offer something different. Advertising a much lower price is certainly an incentive. However, many people equate lower prices with lower quality. We therefore must convince them that our quality equals and in many cases surpasses theirs. We, and when I say we, I mean all of us that find ourselves in this situation, must look at our physical facilities, our programing, our scheduling, our customer service... all aspects of our operations and determine what it is that we can do that exceeds that which is done at the megaplexes near us. In other words, what can we do that they can't or won't? Every theatre is different, yet most theatres probably have some unique attribute that sets them apart from all others. Each exhibitor must find and exploit those attributes. It could be the architecture, the history, the location, the product or a particular management style. Whatever it is... sell it, sell it, and keep selling it.

Selling it means getting and keeping the press interested in your theatre. I always try to get at least one or two news articles published about my theatre each month. Whether it's newpapers, magazines or TV doesn't matter... the more the better. Just make sure it's positive news. The press falls over each other trying to outdo each other. An example of this. Last November we were included in a USAToday article as "One of 10 Great Places to see a Classic Cinema". Notice it didn't say one of the 10 best, but one of ten great places. Our local small town weekly paper saw this and then did an article about us being featured in USAToday. The big city daily near us saw that and then did a story the next day. The regional RCN cable outlet saw that and came and filmed a news piece as well, and then Fox News in Philadelphia came and did a seven minute piece that aired on the Friday night and Monday morning news programs. By the time they were all finished, without me ever saying a word otherwise, we went from One of 10 great places to see a Classic Cinema to One of Americas finest historic theatres. And yes business has been up ever since.

The news media loves covering theatres, sometimes I think they like theatres more then movies. So find that unique angle and hold the carrot out under their nose, and they will do the rest.

Re: promotions 04 May 2002 13:59 #23245

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
We have never done a big promotion. We have been paying attention to how they were being done by our local competitors, but we are just not convinced that this would help us.

Since we are a single screen we cannot promote to people coming to see other movies in our building. We don't generally get promotional stuff until it is too late to work with people coming to see prior movies.

I haven't figured out how to promote outside the confines of our building. We can give out some free tickets but not on the scale done by the local Regal managers who are giving out 40+ tickets for radio time alone. We have to watch the number of free tickets closely due to those pass limits. We also don't have a radio station in our town and very few people want to win tickets to an small theater outside of the major metropolitan area. This works for Regal because there are plenty of Regals everywhere but not for us. We do give out passes for every charity event dreamed up by the schools and local organizations. This helps to give us a positive image and gets the tickets into the hands of local people at least. I have never seen any other promotional stuff to give away - just my tickets. What say the rest of ye? Are we missing the boat?

Re: promotions 04 May 2002 18:24 #23246

Adam,
We usually wrangled them out of the studios. Mostly our corporate marketing dept did that leg work. we just had to prove media value.( letter head from radio station etc.)
sometimes we just faxed or e-mailed exhibitor relations and got the stuff.
See their websites for details

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction