• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
State minimum wage up to $6.75

Sonoma County already ahead of curve, but labor advocates push for higher pay
January 1, 2002

By PAUL PAYNE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Californians making minimum wage will get a 50-cent raise today.

The increase, the second part of a two-part hike approved in 2000, brings the minimum wage to $6.75 an hour, a dollar increase from the $5.75 state minimum two years ago. The wage went up 50 cents in January 2001.

(We pay our staff between $6.75 - $7.50 per hour. We pay our assistants between $9 - $10.75 per hour.)

"I think it's kind of pathetic," said Alex Mallonee of the North Bay Labor Council, who estimates workers need at least $15 an hour to be self-sufficient. "Nobody can live on it." (About what Ky and I pay ourselves!)

California is now among 10 states with a higher minimum wage than the $5.15-an-hour federal minimum. Only Washington state now has higher minimum pay, entering 2002 at $6.90 an hour.

Additional increases could come again in 2003 under petitions and bills awaiting lawmakers.

Tom Rankin of the California Labor Federation said he will push for a higher wage, possibly as much as $9 an hour.

(Can you run your theatre while paying the staff $9 per hour? I'm not sure we can.)

(I guess $9 per hour staff meens $10 adult tickets, $7 Senior & Children tickets. I hope the public doesn't mind.)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Minimum Wage 14 Feb 2002 11:37 #23158

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
If it is at all possible I think that minimum wage is okay for the fast food market and retailers, but in this business I don't think any of the employees should be paid the minimum. Some of the people who work for me are older folks and they need the income. I always try to go $1.00 to $1.50 above minimum. I don't think its enough but its not a slap in the face either. After all, these people have been working for awhile now in other jobs. In my opinion they don't deserve to have to start from the bottom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction