Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Excessive Promotion

Excessive Promotion 13 Jul 2001 12:30 #23066

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
I think that there is a definite correlation between the ad promotion of a movie and how good it is. It seems that the more air play the trailer gets on t.v. the worse it is when it comes to the theater. So I have watched and waited for those movies that are seldom shown and guess what, they do seem to better as a rule. Do you think producers actually know when they have a bomb? Seems like it to me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Excessive Promotion 13 Jul 2001 13:40 #23067

I think they know right off the bat and that's why all the marketing is thrown at it.
I was able to predict what house to place the new movie in based on the trailer.
Wild Wild west had a good trailer. I predicted a bomb at our theatre. I was right.
If the trailer makes the movie look to good then it most likely isn't

Re: Excessive Promotion 18 Jul 2001 10:01 #23068

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Some movies have to be really pushed to get it going. American Beauty was heavily promoted, Shrek too, and I could think of others. But so much has come down to the market segment who goes to almost every movie.. they go once or twice a week minimum.. if you can get a large share of those folks you have your money back come hell or high water (or both as in the case of a lot of pics) I for one am very happy they push and promote films as it seems to get people in the movies. We are a smaller house and I honestly feel honored (go ahead and laugh) to be handed these films on opening day that cost tens of millions to make. There's a lot riding on these things. Sometimes they certainly over promote bad movies ..... who can forget Godzilla.. but then this whole business is about buzz. I like it! I'll take over promotion over underpromotion..... and they get accused of that too!

Don't forget: These are DISTRIBUTION deals. ...many of these pictures are not made by BV or Warner Bros. etc: they make distribution deals even more blindly than we book. All they have is a story, stars, directors, etc. when they commit budgets and it's then their legally contracted job to bring people into the theatre to see the movie: good or bad. Often they're trying to save their ass.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Excessive Promotion 13 Nov 2001 18:11 #23069

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
GTEntertainment - Which house would you put Harry Potter in?

Re: Excessive Promotion 13 Nov 2001 19:58 #23070

I havn't noticed an over excessive amount of marketing for Harry Potter. Nor does it have a trailer that makes it look too good.( the movie looks good its not touted as the best movie since sliced bread) Its getting more free press than anything. With all the publicity over pickets and such how could some one not notice that it is coming out. And the anticipated draw from the book readers makes it not need that much publicity.

WB has not been marketing this film since last January like most stinky films are marketed.

To answer your question: Largest beacuse it is going to have the biggest 1 day opening of any film. Why do you think Buena Vista Chose to open Monsters Inc early.

Re: Excessive Promotion 18 Nov 2001 23:53 #23071

See statement above
31.3 million on Friday
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction